Q. Does frenulum rupture have serious complications?

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 29, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am a 22-year-old male, and I have been facing a problem with the penis. During masturbation, dark red blood comes out along with semen, but it comes from the skin on the tip of the penis and not from the urethral hole. I consulted with a doctor, and they said it to be normal. It has been 4 to 5 times now, but still, there is blood discharge from the penis. Also, I want to know if it will affect my sexual life and what I shall do for this during masturbation? Can you please help me with this as I am more concerned?



Welcome to

I understand your concern about the problem. The available information and images attached (attachment removed to protect patient's identity) appear to be a ruptured frenulum (a fold of tissue that connects the skin over the penis to the penis shaft).

Generally, frenulum rupture does not cause long-lasting effects, and it usually heals by itself, provided adequate rest is given to the penis. It is important to avoid intercourse or masturbation for the next two weeks to aid in healing.

Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.

Take care.

Thank you doctor,

This happened to me a month ago and after that I did not masturbate for two weeks, but still I am having the same problem. I am very much concerned if it has some serious problems.



Welcome back to

Generally, this is not a serious one, so you do not have to worry much. However, consult with your local doctor to rule out other causes for repeated soft tissue tear if the problem persists. It is also advisable to use tablet Vitamin C 500 mg per day.

I hope this helps you further.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What could be the reason for bleeding of glans after intercourse?

.. be having frenulum breve (short frenulum) and that must be torn whenever you have intercourse. There is a small artery (blood vessel) in it and that can cause bleeding. You can apply antibiotic ointments and should avoid intercourse till it is re...   Read full

Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!

Sexuality is a taboo in most of the societies in this world ... Men on one hand consider their sexuality as a jewel of their manhood crown ... In males inability to experience sexual pleasure while having ...   Read full

Why is my orgasm not good as before?

Hi doctor, I am 52-year-old male with strong sexual health ... This is because your hormonal profile pertaining to sexual health is excellent and there is no abnormality ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

My triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL. Is it necessary to take medicine?
Hi doctor, Recently, I got a lipid profile done, and the triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL, apart from that everything ...  Read more»
My lipid test report shows quite high values. Kindly advice.
Hello doctor, I am 35-years-old. My cholesterol level is 222, triglycerides 87, HDL (cholesterol) 60, LDL (cholesterol)...  Read more»
Triglycerides - Causes, Medications, Symptoms, Risk Factors, and Treatment
Triglycerides are derivatives of glycerol and fatty acids. They might sound simple but the causes and symptoms contribut...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Andrologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.