Q. My husband suffers with sharp pain and numbness in forehead. Please suggest a treatment.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

My husband got a sharp pain in his head during the descent of flight. Before ten days, he took his last flight and got excruciating pain. He had lingering numbness in his forehead for ten days. His MRI report showed frontal sinusitis. Please suggest a treatment to get relief from numbness.

#

The pain can occur due to eustachian tube blockage. It can also occur due to nasal congestion caused by sinusitis. The patient can be given nasal and oral decongestants. Steam inhalation and chewing gum can help to provide relief against increased middle ear pressure. Kindly share the CT (computed tomography) scan of paranasal sinuses. Sinus surgery can be done but it has to be decided by seeing the CT scan.

I have attached the MRI reports. Please suggest a treatment to get relief from numbness present in the frontal sinus. Does he require surgery?

#

According to the attached MRI report, (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is frontal sinusitis. It is advisable to visit an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist to have a proper nasal examination. The condition can be treated by using nasal steroidal spray like Fluticasone furoate three times a day and oral decongestants can be used. Sinus surgery has to be done to maintain sinus drainage and it prevents further progression. Continue taking steam inhalation.

|