Q. CT scan shows non-growing lung nodules with scars. What does it suggest?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Six years ago, I had a CT scan that incidentally found three small lung nodules. I had a follow-up scan six months later and they were the same and resembled scars.

I just started worrying about them as I have been a bit tight chested for a couple of days (I do have asthma every now and then) and I am worrying that what if they were cancer back then and are now grown into masses and are causing symptoms. Am I right in thinking that if they were malignant back then that I would have had serious symptoms before now? I have attached my report.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

The nodules found six years back would have manifested into multiple lesions by now if there were cancer and you are right in your thoughts. Usually, cancer nodules double in 30 to 180 days time and if the nodules did not change in six months then cancer is not a likely possibility.

An annual chest x-ray is a recommended test to keep track and for a general check-up purpose.

| 

So if they were malignant back then six years ago, by now I would have had obvious symptoms and know that there was a serious issue, hospitalized, surgeries, etc? And if I am fine (just a bout of mild asthma) now six years later, can assume they were just benign nodules? If so, why would I need an annual chest x-ray? I hope that makes sense. In the report they said they resemble scars, is that common?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

A single chest x-ray done once in a year is a good screening tool for an adult at your age. Tiny nodules and scars can be difficult to tell apart if visualized on a two-dimensional plane. Nodules are supposed to be round and scars are usually flat and show a linear edge.

There is a mention of a flat margin with a nodular size in your report and can mean scars. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

| 

So, you would assume that given six years later and I am still healthy and that they resembled flat scars back then, that I should be pretty safe now?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Yes, things are likely looking healthy for you except for the few occasions of asthma attacks. Please take precautions to prevent any acute asthma attack and be in touch with your doctors.

| 

Are the opacities in my chest x-ray due to cold?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a chest x-ray for medical examination. The doctor asked me to take the x-ray twice. These days, I am suffering from cold and throat pain. Will it affect my result? Earlier I had some allergy, but nowadays I did not have that problem. Is it a serious problem to consider? Please guid...  Read Full »

Kindly clarify my CT scan reports of lung nodule.

Query: Hi doctor, For lung nodules, in the last three years, I had three scans with different radiologists. I would like to get it checked by one radiologist for any actual growth or changes that would indicate cancer. Does the lung nodule getting bigger? Due to my low platelet count, a lung biopsy is mo...  Read Full »

My childhood asthma is resurfacing and my BP is high off late. What is wrong?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 64 years old, completely fit, 5 feet 2 and 118 lbs. I have a steps tracker. So, I know my resting heart rate is 67 on average. I walk an average of 18,000 steps a day, may be more. I golf four times a week and usually walk. But, I did have asthma as a child, and it seems to have r...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now