Q. What are the do's and don'ts for astigmatism?

Dr. Asha Barboza
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 18, 2021

I have been suffering from eye pain for almost three days now, maybe due to my online classes wherein I am constantly exposed to radiation, and also I use ring light for some of my classes. I have astigmatism, and last month, I got my new prescription eyeglasses. What might be the exact reason for the pain in my eyes? And what treatment should I take? Moreover, every time I get an uneasy feeling in my eyes, what are the things I could do? If it is not too much, can I ask for some tips on properly taking care of my eyes and the do's and do not's for having astigmatism? Thank you so much.

#

Thanks for writing in. Sorry to hear about your eye pain. You mentioned that you changed your spectacles recently. Was there any change in the power or axis? As you said, you have astigmatism. If the cylindrical axis is wrong even the slightest or if the power is overcorrected, especially if it is a minus power, it can cause eye strain in the form of pain. Eye pain without redness of the eye can be due to eyestrain, occasionally frontal sinusitis, and rarely inflammation inside or behind the eye.

Astigmatism usually means the cornea is not entirely spherical but oval-shaped like an egg. For example, if your axis is 180 degrees and you wear a 170 degrees lens, it can cause a headache in some people, irrespective of whether it is minus or plus. Sometimes even if the frame is bent or the lens falls out of the frame, and you replace it yourself, it can cause a change in the axis.

I suggest you get the power rechecked because they might not have fixed it correctly or put in the wrong power. When on a computer, take frequent breaks following the 20 /20 /20 rule. Every 20 minutes, focus on an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This gives rest to the eye muscles responsible for the accommodation. Use a lubricating eye drop like four times a day which will keep your eye moist and comfortable. Also, avoid rubbing your eyes as, theoretically, that can cause more astigmatism. As for the headache, it can be due to numerous causes, including stress, migraine, refractive errors which you have, sinusitis, glaucoma, and high blood pressure to name a few. In your case, you already have a history of migraines.

|