Q. My brother is in coma with fungal meningitis. Will he recover?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
Published on Mar 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 19, 2019

My brother has fungal meningitis and is in a coma. Initially, he responded to the commands, but after him having a tracheostomy and a feeding tube put in him; he is not responding to our words. What do you think? Is there a possibility of recovery? Will he wake up?

#

• Fungal meningitis has poor outcome compared to viral or bacterial meningitis. Such fungal infection usually occurs when body immunity is low due to any reason.
  • Sometimes, there may be some permanent cellular level damage to brain cells by such infection. But, do not lose hope. Continue the treatment as doctors have prescribed.
  • There can be a possibility that he will remain in such dependent condition for a little long time, and recovery will be a slow process.
  • No one can predict the recovery time to come back.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Does my MRI show any evidence of mastoiditis, meningitis or subdural empyema?

Query: Hello doctor,My symptoms are extreme nausea, headache (mainly right posterior), and very stiff neck. I started with a severe middle ear infection on the right side. Does my MRI show any evidence of mastoiditis, meningitis or a subdural empyema?  Read Full »

My father is in coma.Tracheostomy has been done.Is it safe to remove tracheostomy at this stage?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is in coma. Tracheostomy has been done. He is off the ventilator, but has coughing problems. His GCS is 7. Is it safe to remove tracheostomy at this stage?    Read Full »

My dad is in coma now. What will be the prognosis?

Query: Hello doctor, My dad is suffering from JE and both his thalamus are infected. Now, he is in coma. What is the prognosis of his condition?  Read Full »