Q. How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
Published on Nov 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduced in the past two years, but, it started again now. She is having white sticky stools and pain in the left lower abdomen. She is also facing trouble with passing urine. She consulted a local doctor and used the medicines of urinary tract infection. Since then, the condition got worse. She is taking Pre pro, Traxol 200 mg, Menopace, EstroG, Spasmodart and Rantac D. Please help.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

#

• The white sticky bowel movements have many reasons, but on considering the medical history of your mother, it is most probably due to severe inflammation of the intestine.
  • Go back to the doctor to switch to another antibiotic based on the results of urine analysis. She may also need a probiotic to reduce antibiotic-related diarrhea.
  • She should avoid large meals and stick to a healthy diet. Ask her to avoid coffee and carbonated beverages.
  • She should continue her colon ulcer medications.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

#

You are most welcome. Do get back for any doubts without hesitation.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

For how long can probiotics be taken in abdominal problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from health problems for the last 10 years, mainly abdominal problem (excessive gas) and mood swings. Actually, I had taken two terms of nine months Rifampicin. After that, the digestion problem and mood swings continued. A lot of tests were done in different big hospit...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. From what you mentioned, you have irritable bowel syndrome. Darolac (Lactobacillus) is a good treatment which helps replace disturbed gut flora.It is safe OTC medication, with a maintenance dose of one capsule per day. You can increase it...  Read Full

Natural Sources and Health Benefits of Probiotics

Article Overview: This article explains about probiotics, their health benefits, and natural sources of probiotics. Read Article

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Probiotics are naturally occurring bacteria in our gut. The word 'Probiotic' is derived from a Latin word 'Pro’ meaning ‘Promoting’ and the Greek word 'Biotic' which means 'Life.' Probiotics are live microorganisms in the gut that have several health benefits. Many kinds of ba...  Read Article

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Your sputum stain says that you have lower respiratory tract infection. However, culture is negative which can occur due to antibiotic consumption prior to sputum collection. Treatment would be based on your symptoms.¬†Please mention what symptoms...  Read Full