Q. My son is G6PD deficient. What do you advice to cure his anemia?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

My son is G6PD deficient. He is already 10 months old. We have been having CBC since the first month and the result is somehow close. In his latest result, just taken yesterday, RBC is 4.09 (unit:x10^12/L), hemoglobin is 112 (g/L), hematocrit is 0.33 (L/L) and WBC is 12.0 (x10^9/IL). Differential count: neutrophil is 0.46 (normal range: 0.50-0.70) while monocyte is 0.12 (normal range: 0.01-0.06). He had fever yesterday that triggered us for another CBC test, though he is alright now. He only had fever twice, first was when he had colds.

I am worried about his anemia which started in as early as 1 month. We have been taking iron supplements but no significant development, so we decided to stop for one month now worrying about iron overload. We are really careful of his food intake and to avoid triggers since he is deficient of G6PD. What can you advice to cure his anemia?

#

Do not try or stop medication on your own. It is advisable to visit his pediatrician or hematologist for an examination.

Your child's hemoglobin level remains persistently low as per history. So, chronic hemolysis or intermittent hemolysis might be there. Clinical severity can be correlated with estimation of serum LDH and serum bilirubin. Iron and Folic acid can be prescribed by his doctor for that. If no improvement and Hb deficiency is more, a blood transfusion might be given.

The main treatment for G6PD deficiency is the avoidance of drugs and chemicals that lead to hemolysis and avoid fava beans.

Hope this information will be beneficial to you.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|