Q. Can gall bladder stones be treated with medicine?

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2019

I have been diagnosed with a stone in gall bladder measuring 4 mm, one stone only. I do not want to go for surgery. Can it be treated with medicine?

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan

Medical Gastroenterology
#

The definite treatment for gallbladder stone is surgery. With medicines, there is very little chance for the dissolution of stone. As the stone is less than 5 mm, there are some chances that it may be dissolved, but it may take 6 to 12 months. There is only one drug used for this purpose, and you may start taking it. Tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid (Ursodiol) 250 mg twice a day for at least six months.

Considering my cardiac health, should I get operated for gallbladder stones?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old female, who weighs 78 kg. I have multiple stones in the gallbladder. And my vomits are greenish or yellowish in color. Once, I threw up brownish vomit, which my doctor said is blood, due to repeated vomiting. The gastric pipe gets torn and abraded a little, and ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arvind Guru
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The short answer, in my opinion, is yes, let them operate for gallbladder stones. Here is why. The surgeon's job was to see that the patient will be safe, so he asked for a cardiac assessment. Here dobutamine stress echocardiogram (DSE) was requested most likely as it mu...  Read Full

What are the tiny black dots that came up after gallbladder surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I had acute pancreatitis, which resulted in gallbladder surgery. Two weeks post operation; I have noticed tiny black dots appearing on my body. Now it has spread, some are raised and some are flat. Should I be concerned? What are they? I have attached the picture of my stom...  Read Full >>

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are a bit blurred and these are tiny small papules. Are they itchy? There are two to three possibilities. I will mention it one by one. First is drug reaction - As you had undergone surgery, you must be taki...  Read Full

Is surgery needed for acute cholecystitis with cholelithiasis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having right abdominal pain since last five days. I am not getting relief after taking medicines also. My ultrasound says that the gallbladder is distended with a 6.8 mm calculus at the gallbladder neck. The gallbladder wall is 5.6 mm and appears thickened. The gallbladder is fi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arvind Guru
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very tempting to treat gallbladder stones with dissolving drugs, but there are some very important limitations, which are as follows. Those drugs require up to two years of treatment. They do not prevent the formation of new ones. They cannot be used on all types of...  Read Full