Q. Can gall bladder stones be treated with medicine?

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2019

I have been diagnosed with a stone in gall bladder measuring 4 mm, one stone only. I do not want to go for surgery. Can it be treated with medicine?

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan

Medical Gastroenterology
#

The definite treatment for gallbladder stone is surgery. With medicines, there is very little chance for the dissolution of stone. As the stone is less than 5 mm, there are some chances that it may be dissolved, but it may take 6 to 12 months. There is only one drug used for this purpose, and you may start taking it. Tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid (Ursodiol) 250 mg twice a day for at least six months.

| 

Considering my cardiac health, should I get operated for gallbladder stones?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old female, who weighs 78 kg. I have multiple stones in the gallbladder. And my vomits are greenish or yellowish in color. Once, I threw up brownish vomit, which my doctor said is blood, due to repeated vomiting. The gastric pipe gets torn and abraded a little, and ...  Read Full »

Why did I get tiny black dots on the body after gallbladder surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I had acute pancreatitis, which resulted in gallbladder surgery. Two weeks post operation; I have noticed tiny black dots appearing on my body. Now it has spread, some are raised and some are flat. Should I be concerned? What are they? I have attached the picture of my stom...  Read Full »

Is surgery needed for acute cholecystitis with cholelithiasis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having right abdominal pain since last five days. I am not getting relief after taking medicines also. My ultrasound says that the gallbladder is distended with a 6.8 mm calculus at the gallbladder neck. The gallbladder wall is 5.6 mm and appears thickened. The gallbladder is fi...  Read Full »