Q. Can gall bladder stones be treated with medicine?

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2019

I have been diagnosed with a stone in gall bladder measuring 4 mm, one stone only. I do not want to go for surgery. Can it be treated with medicine?

#

The definite treatment for gallbladder stone is surgery. With medicines, there is very little chance for the dissolution of stone. As the stone is less than 5 mm, there are some chances that it may be dissolved, but it may take 6 to 12 months. There is only one drug used for this purpose, and you may start taking it. Tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid (Ursodiol) 250 mg twice a day for at least six months.

|