Q. Will my gallbladder polyps turn cancerous?

Dr. Noushif M
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

I got my abdominal ultrasound done due to pain while urinating. In the ultrasound, it showed as 'gallbladder polyps'. I checked online and it said it can lead to cancer. I am very scared. I am uploading pictures.

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

There is nothing to worry about gallbladder polyps. I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These are small non-problematic thickenings of the gallbladder wall.

Pain while urinating is not due to gallbladder polyps. Since you are having multiple polyps, it is always recommended to remove the gallbladder by surgery (keyhole or laparoscopy). Surgery is adviced because these polyps may grow rarely and some polyps may be actually small stones which indicate that the gallbladder is not functioning.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|