Q. Do I need surgery for removal of gallstone?

Dr. Erfana Malik
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2019

I have a 7 mm gallstone as seen in my ultrasound. They gave me Ranitidine, and I tried apple cider vinegar with fresh apples. Do I need surgery?

Dr. Erfana Malik

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Thanks for sharing your concern.

• Well, medicines and lithotripsy can be tried for gallstones, but the definite treatment is surgery.
  • This is just to avoid that emergency condition where patient lands up with severe pain and the gallbladder became extremely inflamed and infected where surgery becomes a difficult procedure.
  • I will advise you to see your doctor and discuss surgery option with him because sooner or later you might need it.

Obesity.

Cholelithiasis.

Gallbladder surgery.

For further information consult a general practitioner online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

My 11 year old son has acute periumbilical abdominal pain. Is surgery necessary for gallstones?

Query: Hello doctor, My 11 year old son has acute periumbilical abdominal pain after waking up and vomited a couple of times. Before, he used to wake up with mild to moderate pain, but three days back he had severe pain. The pain got relieved half way to the ER, so we came back home. I noticed early th...  Read Full »

How to find the reason for right lower abdominal pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking some antibiotics (Clindamycin) for dental related issues as well as Acetaminophen. I also tried Ibuprofen and Wellbutrin for unrelated reasons. My bottom right abdomen area is hurting on and off. The pain is also near the liver area and going down to the gut. The pain is not s...  Read Full »

How can stomach problems be treated after having had a gallbladder surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old female who is 5 feet 3 inches weighing 140 pounds. For the past four months, I have been dealing with stomach problems such as diarrhea and bloating and lack of appetite. It did turn out that my gallbladder was functioning at 18% and just last week I had a laparo...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now