Q. Does drug absorption get reduced after a gallbladder removal surgery?

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan
Published on Oct 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Can drug absorption be decreased due to gallbladder removal? I take Griseofulvin for a persistent tinea capitis. I was advised to take it with a fatty meal to enhance the absorption of the drug. My gallbladder was removed five months ago. Is it possible that due to this situation, the drug is absorbed less well?

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• Let me clarify that the removal of the gallbladder is not associated with the absorption of the drug. Even in the case of a patient whose gallbladder is not removed, Griseofulvin is advised to be taken with fatty meals.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Onychomycosis - Fungal Infection of Nails, Its Patterns and Treatment

Article Overview: Most of the patients in dermatological practice who present with nail infections, come with an expectation that it gets cured in the first visit itself. But, due to the slow growth of nail plate and deeper involvement of nail matrix, it requires treatment for longer duration. In this article, I have discussed about fungal infection of the nails. Read Article

Onychomycosis includes nail infections due to dermatophytes, non-dermatophytes and yeasts as well. Dermatophyte infection of the nail plate is known as tinea unguium. It occurs due to the same species that causes tinea pedis (fungal infection of the feet) and tinea manuum (fungal infection of the ha...  Read Article

Article Overview:  Read Article