Gamma Globulin Level

Can low level of gamma gloublin affect HIV test result?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an unprotected relation two months ago, which led to urethritis three days after that was treated with a 10 days course of Levaquin. The urethritis disappeared, but at the end of the treatment, I started to feel neurological symptoms, numbness, tingling burning sensation in my ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.As you have done all the test which came normal. Hiv antibodies while detecting in initial phase generally came negative, as it is in window period for three months. So have to recheck HIV antibody test post three months of exposure. And if it comes negative after then n...  Read Full »

What are the causes of increased blood protein levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I went to the doctor for a general physical examination and did the normal blood work. Everything came back normal, except my blood protein was 8.5 g/dL. She sent me for another blood test today, monoclonal protein test. I am worried sick until I get the test results. Should I be concer...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your protein level is in the upper normal range. Normal body proteins value can range from 6 to 8.5 g/dL. Increased proteins and monoclonal antibodies are seen in plasma cell disorders, but patients in such cases usually have a fever, back pain, anemia, and a myriad of o...  Read Full »

My blood protein levels are in higher range. Is that a precursor of any problem?

Query: Hi doctor, For around seven years, my blood protein levels range from 8 to 8.6. The average of all is 8.29 and nothing showed up in urine. Is this a precursor to something? When I have asked doctors, they all said that it was in guidelines and it is intermittent.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Yes, your doctor is right. Variation in protein levels is always present. Only, if the globulin levels are too high, then it is worrisome. If the globulin levels are increasing over time, then you need to be worried. If not, ...  Read Full »

My mother has multiple myeloma. How to find out the stage of her cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My 97 year old mother, who is in a nursing home, is more tired and feeling unwell. A blood test has shown she has likely got multiple myeloma. She had left-sided paralysis from a stroke six years ago. She cannot speak, and she is slow in understanding and writing, but she has no dementia...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your mother's condition. I have read all the test values that you have mentioned. From which, I can see that her total protein is high and albumin is low with elevated gamma globulin. Immunofixation electrophoresis is the best test to detect plasma ce...  Read Full »

I have asthma and nasal polyp, and some foul smell is coming from my nose and throat. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have allergic asthma and nasal polyp since the past year. I have seasonal asthma since my childhood, and during an endoscopy, they found a 7 mm polyp at the GE junction, which is benign. I am feeling fatigue, and some foul smell is coming from my throat and nose. My recent bloo...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to the icliniq.com. According to the history provided, you are having asthma and acid reflux disease. To cure asthma, I suggest using Salmeterol and steroid combination inhaler. Here steroid component can lead to throat irritation and secondary throat infection, for example, candidiasis ...  Read Full »