Q. What could be the cause for my black stools and variations in my albumin and globulin values?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I am a 45-year-old male. My height is 5'5", and my weight is 75 kg. I have been passing black stool for several days. I consulted a doctor, and he did some blood investigations. It showed fluctuations in my serum aluminum and serum globulin values.

What should I do now?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from the passing of black stool. I saw the reports that you have sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

Passing of black stool is not always a matter of serious concern. Black foods, iron supplements, and other medications like bismuth may cause black stool. The black stool which results from bleeding is known as melena. Bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) may cause melena. So, melena may result from various underlying health conditions like peptic ulcers, gastritis, esophageal varices, diverticulitis, inflammatory bowel diseases like ulcerative colitis, hemorrhoids, constipation, etc. As your hemoglobin level is below normal, so there may be pathological conditions.

Treatment depends upon the cause. Some investigations like endoscopy of upper GIT, colonoscopy, occult blood test, CT (computed tomography), or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the abdomen are needed to detect the underlying causes for your present sufferings.

Again, according to the blood report, your globulin level is above average, and that may result from infection, inflammatory conditions, immune diseases, lymphoma, carcinoma, etc. A low albumin and globulin ratio may indicate the overproduction of globulin, resulting from the causes mentioned above or loss of albumin due to kidney disease like nephrotic syndrome.

But, one blood report does not confirm anything. Blood test results may vary from laboratory to laboratory. So, repeat the albumin, globulin, albumin globulin ratio from two different laboratories concurrently one month later. If two blood reports show abnormal results, then do as needful.

Take care.

|