Q. 2. 5 year old suffering from stomach ache. Which medicine has to be given?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2019

My son is 2.5 years old. For a week, he is complaining of stomach pain. After farting he is fine. Our family doctor recommended one antibiotic for five days and a medicine to avoid vomiting. He had small vomits twice, but later it was fine. Now, after completing the course of medicine he again complaints the same. His diet is almost nothing and he is not ready to take any food. He just has few mL of milk. He does not have fever. His stool was watery, but it is normal now. Can you provide any recommendation on diet and medicine? Please give me a solution to the problem. Thank you.

#

I can understand your concerns.

Complain of abdomen pain with vomiting suggests that your child probably has acute gastroenteritis or food poisoning. Since, antibiotic is already given and now there are no loose stools or vomiting, there is no need to give antibiotic again. For abdomen pain, you can give syrup Cyclopam (Dicyclomine hydrochloride and Paracetamol) 5 mL on SOS basis (as and when required) that is when abdomen pain occurs.

Whenever a child becomes sick, there is decrease in his appetite which improves as child recovers. Now, you should give him all the foods that you were giving him earlier. If he is not eating then you can start Glucon-D in water thrice a day for one or two days. Start a multivitamin like syrup Bevon 5 mL once a day for 15 days. Keep patience. Child will eat properly now as he has recovered from illness.

|