Q. I have a painful rash along with an ulcer on my penis. What could that be?

Dr. Shama Naaz

I have a single ulcer on my penis shaft where the doctor prescribed Keflex and Bactroban ointment. He also has a swab for chlamydia and blood tests for HIV, syphilis, hepatitis, etc., which all came back negative. I applied Bactroban on the ulcer and around the skin and decided to masturbate. About 30 minutes later, a red rash with tiny vesicles appeared. The next day, I tightened my skin and burst them quite quickly, releasing clear fluid, leaving a small cut. The cuts are now painful to touch. The rash and tiny ulcers look better immediately after moisturizer or applying cold compression. It does not seem to be itchy. The first ulcer I had now has been swabbed for HSV-2, but the doctor said it is unlikely to be that, but an infected bacterial infection. I am concerned about the present rash.

#

Ulcer on the shaft of the penis can be due to different reasons like herpes genitalis, local trauma, or secondary bacterial infection, and some STDs (sexually transmitted disease).

Was there any pain associated with the appearance of an ulcer? Is there any painful or painless lump in the groin area? For the rash, is there a burning sensation before the appearance of vesicles and redness? Do you have a history of unprotected intercourses recently or any urethral discharge? Did you have a similar reaction when you use Bactroban cream?

Irritant contact dermatitis due to topical medication. Herpes genitalis.

Reports of HSV2 (herpes simplex virus) and NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test) test for chlamydia.

Rash. Irritant contact dermatitis.Herpes genitalis. Ulcer. Local bacterial infection or STD (sexually transmitted disease).

To be made after reviewing reports.

Apply topical antibiotic cream over the ulcerated area. Do not apply over the rash. Proper treatment plan after getting reports.

Avoid sexual activity until the lesions are healed. Do not masturbate. Do not burst any vesicles by your hand, you will only aggravate the problem.

Review with reports.

There was no pain on the initial ulcer. No burning or tingling before the secondary rash. No lumps in the groin area and no discharge. I am sexually active. And this is the first time I am using Bactroban. This is what the rash looks like after two days from the first photo. Could this be eczema?

#

Burning and itching before the onset of rash is commonly seen in herpes, but some patients may not complain. So, I would not rule that out without seeing the report. Making a confirmed diagnosis is essential in herpes because, without treatment, there is a chance of recurrence.

According to your history, rash appearance came after applying Bactroban and coupled with friction in the area due to masturbation. It could be irritant contact dermatitis, which will go away with time and topical medication only.

There is no history of urethral discharge or lump in the groin area, and your test reports are negative for HIV, syphilis, and chlamydia.

Due to irritation from topical medication or herpes.

HSV report awaited.

Irritant contact dermatitis.

Herpes genitalis.

Apply calamine lotion over the red area and topical antibiotic (other than Bactroban) for ulcer. (Patient had already taken oral antibiotics). If the HSV report is negative, mild topical steroid cream for the rash is advisable.

Avoid sexual intercourse, masturbation, and manipulation of local lesions.

Review with reports.

|