Q. I am suffering from genital herpes with burning and itching sensation. Please help.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
Published on Dec 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 06, 2019

I am suffering from genital herpes. My HSV IgG range was 1.74. I am having burning and itching in my inner walls of the vagina for about a week. Please help.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

Let me explain everything. First I will explain about HSV (herpes simplex virus), signs and symptoms. And do you really have HSV or not.

First of all HSV IgG (glycoprotein G specific antibody) is not a diagnostic test. IgG shows immunity in the body, not the disease. HSV IgM is the real indicator of acute infection. If it is high it means you have herpes infection. If IgG is high it means you have good immunity against herpes. So there is a basic difference in both.

Burning sensation and ulcer are the main sign of herpes but itching never come in herpes. So I am really not sure whether you have herpes or some other infection like fungal. In herpes partner also has herpes problem. Partner also can complain of ulcer, pain, redness, and irritation of penis or area around the penis. Just review your sexual history, which means did you have unprotected sex? How recently you had and did this problem started after sex only? Here I am mentioning the treatment of herpes but I am not sure that you have herpes or not.

I suggest taking Acyclovir 800 mg thrice in a day. Apply Acyclovir cream on the vaginal wall and on the ulcer. Both the partners should follow this treatment strictly for 10 days and have protected intercourse mean while. Now let me you how to be sure whether you have herpes or not. Get this test done if this value is high, then you have herpes if not then you do not have.

1. HSV-1 IgM.

2. HSV-2 IgM.

These tests are the real indicators of acute herpes infection if one of them or both comes positive then you have herpes and you and your partner should get the above-mentioned treatment.

| 

I had unprotected sex recently, but there is no such issue in my partner. I am having pain, burning and itching with sores on my walls. This was not the first time I had unprotected sex with him even. Please help me to relieve the symptoms.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

#

I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your reports clearly says that herpes is negative. And you said that itching is present which is not herpes feature but still just finish the course of Acyclovir 800 mg thrice daily. Apply Acyclovir cream. Follow this course for seven to ten days. If it is herpes then definitely you will get cured. If still problem persists then we have to think in the other way. It could be fungal too. First, you continue it.

| 

Why do I severe vaginal itching in the night?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past few weeks, I have had severe vaginal itching. It goes on all night and sometimes during the day. I have not slept properly for the past few weeks. I have not experienced this level of itching before and for such a long time. Once this started, I used Lactacyd to alleviate the...  Read Full »

What does HSV 1/ 2 (IgG) type-spec AB positive mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I received some routine blood work (annual physical) and my results came in today. I noticed something that made my heart sank. HSV 1/ 2(IGG) type-spec AB tested positive with a reading of 33.10 H. What does this mean? Am I extremely contagious? I have never had a cold sore, nor do I now...  Read Full »