Genital Ulcer

How to confirm whether my genital ulcer is due to syphilis or herpes?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a genital ulcer for many days, and I do not know what is going on. I am a medical student and thinking about two causes, genital herpes or syphilis. I had an STD test for both and took treatment for this. Personally, it reminds me of herpes, and I have started taking Valacyclov...  Read Full »

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many differential diagnoses of genital ulcer-like herpes genitalis, primary chancre, beaches, chancroid, gonorrhea, STI, etc. Have you done VRDL, TPHA, FTA-Abs tests? If the tests come reactive or positive, take tablet Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily aft...  Read Full »

What should I do for the ulcer and painful rash on my penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a single ulcer on my penis shaft where the doctor prescribed Keflex and Bactroban ointment. He also has a swab for chlamydia and blood tests for HIV, syphilis, hepatitis, etc., which all came back negative. I applied Bactroban on the ulcer and around the skin and decided to mas...  Read Full »

Dr. Shama Naaz

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ulcer on the shaft of the penis can be due to different reasons like herpes genitalis, local trauma, or secondary bacterial infection, and some STDs (sexually transmitted disease). Was there any pain associated with the appearance of an ulcer? Is there any painful o...  Read Full »

Please suggest medications for redness in the head of the penis.

Query: Hello doctor, I have red skin on the head of the penis. The forehead of the penis is red and when I pull skin up, I see some thick water like liquid (sometime look like it is white) is coming out of skin. The whole area where water coming out is red and looking like it has injuries or cuts. This si...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it can be candidal balanitis. Treatment for the same is antifungal medications. But to be sure of diagnosis kindly send an image of the involved area and revert back so that oral medications can be advised along with topical. For more information con...  Read Full »

Why do I get recurrent burning and ulcers at the tip of penis even after topical medication?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a burning sensation near the tip of my penis from a few days when I urinate. A few days ago, I also had some ulcer just underneath the head of my penis. Also, I am circumcised. I am a sexually inactive 29-year-old male. It also burns near the tip sometimes when I ejaculate fro...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ulcer is most probably caused due to friction.  Read Full »

What causes light brown spotting?

Query: Hello doctor, Age: 21 years, Female. I started my period a month back (24 June). I currently do not know the length of my period but it varies from 24-29 days, my last period was 24 days. According to my period tracking apps my ovulation day is the 30th of June (if it’s going by the 24 days l...  Read Full »

Dr. Monika Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering your cycle duration and ovulatory periods, the time when you had contact, there are a few possibilities of the etiology of bleeding. The first one is that you might be having some ulcer or erosion out there in vagina or cervix which got further ulcerated whe...  Read Full »

I have painful wound with itching in penis after sex. Is it gonorrhea?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 36 years old, male. I am traveling and had sex two weeks ago without condom. After two days, I felt itching and pain while peeing. Now, two weeks later, I have white painful wound on my penis. I visited a doctor yesterday and received an injection and two pills antibiotics. He said ...  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have developed ulcers after two weeks. Usually, in gonorrhea you will have painful white discharge from penis. In syphilis, ulcer will develop after 10 to 14 days, painless single, button like ulcer. Painful genital ulcers in this case are may be herpes simplex...  Read Full »

A small itchy bump developed in to an ulcer in the pubic area. Please recommend medicine.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a skin ulcer that appeared about a week ago in the pubic area. The initial lesion is now surrounded by four liquid filled bumps that look like they also will become ulcers. A small itchy bump developed into an ulcer in 10 days. Three days between photos at a different stage of ...  Read Full »

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Looking at the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I could think of two differentials for it and they are pyoderma, a superficial bacterial infection, or herpes genitalis, a disease spread via sexual contact and presents with grouped blisters ...  Read Full »

How do I know if my penile ulcerations are from herpes or candida?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the difference between the penile ulcerations caused by herpes and the ones caused by candidiasis? How can I know the difference between the two? A person who has many ulcerations on the penis is likely to have herpes or a candidiasis?  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query, and I have noted your concern. Herpes is painful and associated with burning micturition (voiding) whereas Candida is usually itchy and not so discomforting when compared to herpes. The candida ulcers are superficial and macerated wherea...  Read Full »

Do you have any idea about my undiagnosed flares?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having undiagnosed flares for the past five years. The symptoms are usually similar, but during each flare I have a few different ones that seem to take the lead. They almost always start with pain in my legs. First it starts with shin, then calfs, thighs and butt. The pain u...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry that you have been through so much in such a young age. I am thinking of Behcet's disease, also known as Behcet's syndrome. It is a relatively rare disorder that causes blood vessel inflammation throughout the body. Unfortunately, there are no classical l...  Read Full »

Why am I having this one-sided head to toe nerve pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I had protected sex with an unknown person. Since then, I feel unhealthy. I feel like one-sided nerve pain and for the first two months felt weakness and now the fifth year is going on. I tested four times for HIV and it is negative. I have also been checked for also herpes 1, 2 and s...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your fear. If you have used a condom while having intercourse then it is less likely to acquire a sexually transmitted infection. You can either have an ulcer over your genitals or pus from your urethra in case of sexually transmitted infections. ...  Read Full »