Q. Does oral or genital herpes show symptoms like bloody blisters in mouth?

Dr. Sandeep Golla
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been getting sores and things that look like blood blisters in my mouth for around six months. I had a swab test and blood work was done to rule out HSV. It came back negative. However, there is still a chance it could be HSV as it takes three to six months to show up in your blood. I am concerned. This is completely out of the normal for me. I do not smoke, drink moderately a few times a week, eat healthily and exercise. Any ideas? Would oral or genital herpes look like this in the mouth? Could it be mouth cancer?

#

Your concern may be oral lichen planus which is an autoimmune issue which is treatable. Or this can be aphthous stomatitis which are oral ulcers and they are also treatable. They flare due to low immunity of any reason, low iron in the blood, B12 deficiency, stress, overthinking, etc.

Thirdly, it can be oral herpes which will have multiple ulcers rather than your presentation. The lesion might not be any oral cancer by the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Sometimes, I have a few of these sores at once. Can it still be herpes?

#

They may be minor aphthous stomatitis which usually resemble herpes infection. If any oral sex or unprotected sexual history is there, then get HSV 1 and 2 IgG and IgM blood tests done. If IgM is positive take necessary treatment and if IgG is positive, then ignore it as there will be cross-reactions for this. You can start Tacroz (Tacrolimus) 0.03 % ointment once daily at bed time on the ulcers. This might help you.

I did engage in oral sex multiple times with someone who has been symptom-free of genital herpes for 10 years. So can it be herpes?

#

Then, there is no chance to acquire herpes infection. Get HSV IgG and IgM test once. This will rule out any active or passive herpes infection. In few instances it will show false positive and false negative results. But, we can come to an idea after the test.

Since you are having a history of sexual exposure, I had suggested you investigation. Please get it done and report. Only confirmation test will be PCR from the serum from the active blister where we can identify herpes virus, until then consider it as non-herpes infection.

I did this, and I have to wait for another three months to get tested again. With HSV 2, can you get oral herpes if there are no signs of the person having a breakout?

#

Yes, HSV 2 is mainly concerned with below the umbilicus. We usually suggest both at a time if there are vesicles with ulceration with a sexual exposure. No need of waiting for this investigation. Check your serum B12 and serum ferritin. I consider your oral ulcers as aphthous stomatitis.

|