Q. I have a few itchy and inflamed lumps on the vagina. Could this be genital warts?

Answered by
Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 12, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have a few lumps on my vagina, which get itchy and inflamed and then go back down. I have had a herpes swab, and it is negative. I was wondering if it could be genital warts? I have had HPV infections.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

According to your statement, you have been suffering from a few lumps on your vagina, which are itchy. According to the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you may suffer from genital warts, small colored lumps. These may have a cauliflower-like appearance. They are more common in women and caused by the human papillomavirus virus, a sexually transmitted infection.

Such bumps may also result from vaginal cysts, Fordyce spots, ingrown hair, bacterial skin infections like a boil, carbuncle, etc. Treatment depends on causes. You should undergo some investigations like urine R/M/E and C/S, urethral or vaginal swab for C/S, biopsy or FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) from the bumps, etc., to find out the underlying causes for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly.

In the meantime, you can apply Corticosteroid cream for itching with a hot compress with warm water that will reduce the swelling.

Thank you doctor,

Would warts disappear and appear again?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Genital wart varies among patients. They may go away on their own or with treatment. They may last from a few months to years with or without treatment. Roughly 30℅ of all warts will subside within the first four months of infection.

Even if your genital warts disappear without treatment, you may still have the virus in you. If your immunity system fails to combat it in the near future, then it will recur.

You can apply Podofilox and Imiquimod cream on your affected area. Other treatment options are surgical intervention like excision, electrocautery, cryosurgery, etc.

Biopsy or FNAC from the bumps will confirm the diagnosis. Your partner can also undergo an HPV test.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Please look at the picture I have attached and tell me if it is an STD.

Pap smear and other swab tests were done and everything was negative ...   Read full

I have genital warts on my penis shaft. Will the HPV vaccine prevent me from getting it?

.. understand your concern. Regarding HPV (human papillomavirus), once you get infected, you will always be positive. Symptoms can be on and off depending on the type of HPV you get infected with. If you keep your immune system good, the chances of t...   Read full

I have a knot that keeps coming up just on the outside of my vagina.It hurts really bad.Is it something serious?

.. description you have given, it appears to be either Bartholin's abscess or a boil. Both cases can be recurrent if immunity is low, most common cause being diabetes mellitus. Following is my advice for managing the symptoms: Get your blood sugar...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is Condyline paint appropriate for genital warts caused by HPV?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19-year-old female. I lost my virginity about 10 months ago with my boyfriend. Now after 10 months has passed I found out that I have two warts inside my vagina. It is white color although, the one on the top started to have a slight pink color. But the second one on the bottom wh...  Read Full »

How to resolve vaginal itching and dryness?

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from itchy and dry vagina for the past six months. It has been on and off. Because of that I do not feel good and always in a frustrated mood. Please help me.  Read Full »

Why do I severe vaginal itching in the night?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past few weeks, I have had severe vaginal itching. It goes on all night and sometimes during the day. I have not slept properly for the past few weeks. I have not experienced this level of itching before and for such a long time. Once this started, I used Lactacyd to alleviate the...  Read Full »

Also Read

I am suffering from dry and scaly scalp. Is that scalp psoriasis?
Hello doctor, I am suffering from dry, scaly patches on the scalp for the last six to eight months. Since childhood, I h...  Read more»
Birth Control Methods - Facts, and Types
Devices or treatments done to prevent unwanted pregnancy are called birth control methods.In this article, I am going to...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.