Q. I have a few itchy and inflamed lumps on the vagina. Could this be genital warts?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I have a few lumps on my vagina, which get itchy and inflamed and then go back down. I have had a herpes swab, and it is negative. I was wondering if it could be genital warts? I have had HPV infections.

#

According to your statement, you have been suffering from a few lumps on your vagina, which are itchy. According to the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you may suffer from genital warts, small colored lumps. These may have a cauliflower-like appearance. They are more common in women and caused by the human papillomavirus virus, a sexually transmitted infection.

Such bumps may also result from vaginal cysts, Fordyce spots, ingrown hair, bacterial skin infections like a boil, carbuncle, etc. Treatment depends on causes. You should undergo some investigations like urine R/M/E and C/S, urethral or vaginal swab for C/S, biopsy or FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) from the bumps, etc., to find out the underlying causes for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly.

In the meantime, you can apply Corticosteroid cream for itching with a hot compress with warm water that will reduce the swelling.

Would warts disappear and appear again?

#

Genital wart varies among patients. They may go away on their own or with treatment. They may last from a few months to years with or without treatment. Roughly 30℅ of all warts will subside within the first four months of infection.

Even if your genital warts disappear without treatment, you may still have the virus in you. If your immunity system fails to combat it in the near future, then it will recur.

You can apply Podofilox and Imiquimod cream on your affected area. Other treatment options are surgical intervention like excision, electrocautery, cryosurgery, etc.

Biopsy or FNAC from the bumps will confirm the diagnosis. Your partner can also undergo an HPV test.

|