Q. My genital warts does not go even after using Podofilox. Why?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

I have been using Podofilox for four weeks (adhering to the treatment plan) and my single wart has definitely decreased in size but it is still there. I am nervous that it will not go away.

I have a genital wart on my shaft, it was never massive or huge, but noticeable on look. I noticed it and was given Podofilox which has helped but has not made it go away. It is very flat now but it has been four weeks and that is the recommended treatment time for the wart. What can I do?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

I understand your concern, please understand that proper treatment is very necessary for good results. Make sure that you have applied the Podofilox gel correctly that is twice daily for three straight days and then remaining four days of the week with no treatment, and continuing this for four weeks.

If only the black spot or hyperpigmentation is remaining, it will fade on its own in a few days. However, if the wart still remains, it is advised to meet the dermatologist for an alternative treatment, as more than four weeks Podofilox gel is not advised.

The other alternative treatment includes Imiqumoid cream, 5- fluorouracil cream, cryotherapy, laser-assisted therapy, electrocauterization. Kindly get examined by a dermatologist for the best option.

Do not use any irritants on the area and keep the area dry. While applying Podofilox, you can apply Vaseline to the surrounding normal skin to protect it. Please do not panic as with treatment the wart is sure to go.

|