Q. I have genital warts on my penis shaft. Will the HPV vaccine prevent me from getting it?

Dr. Raveendran Sr
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2020

Three years back, I was infected with genital warts that grow on my penis shaft. I was with my ex-girlfriend at that time. After removing it through a nearby hospital procedure and waiting for several weeks, I had sex again with my girlfriend. But every time I had sex, genital warts reappear. Then we decided not to have sex for a year. Then we broke up. Two years back, I had a new girlfriend, and we had sexual intercourse, but this time there were no symptoms anymore. Then, last week, unfortunately, I hired a sex worker with a horrible mindset, and she gave me fellatio. Then, warts reappear again. Yesterday, I just had a procedure also to remove my genital warts. Now I decided not to have sex after everything is cleared. Will getting HPV vaccine sometime in the future prevent my girlfriend and me from being exposed to HPV that causes genital wart? And if so, how long can we have intimate relations again?

#

I can understand your concern.

Regarding HPV (human papillomavirus), once you get infected, you will always be positive. Symptoms can be on and off depending on the type of HPV you get infected with. If you keep your immune system good, the chances of the reappearance of HPV warts are low. Regarding vaccine - you should have got the vaccine before sexual activity. You can still get a vaccine; since there are many types of HPV, you will be protected to which you were not exposed before. Have your blood sugar checked up and follow a healthy lifestyle. Take multivitamins so the recurrence of the wart will be reduced. Try to follow monogamy. If not, have protected sex. You should know recurrent exposure to HPV can lead to cancer in the future.

HPV.

FBS (fasting blood sugar), PPBS (postprandial blood sugar), urine complete, and HIV 1 and 2 test.

HPV.

HPV.

Medical management.

Healthy lifestyle.

You can if you have any further doubts.

|