Q. What is the best way to treat genital warts?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

I have a problem with genital warts. This is affecting my family life. Please help.

#

I can understand your concern. But there are no attached photographs in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to assess the condition and suggest you the appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

I have attached the photos.

#

Thanks for sharing the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The best way to treat genital warts is intralesional immunotherapy these days, in which you will receive a vaccine in the lesions every three weeks. Most of the cases subside completely, and the chances of recurrences are very less.

For that, you need to visit a dermatologist in person only. There are many other options for genital warts but not as effective as immunotherapy and has side effects.

If one has genital warts, one needs to rule out other sexually transmitted infections as they are more likely with genital warts.

So get the following investigations if already not done.

1. HIV (human-immunodeficiency virus).

2. HBsAg (surface antigen of hepatitis B),

3. HCV (hepatitis C virus).

4. VDRL (venereal disease research labaratory).

5. HSV serology.

If you cannot visit a dermatologist in-person right now for any reason, start the following medications.

1. Capsule Zincovit twice a day after meals.

2. Imiquad 5% cream, apply a thin layer over warts at night and leave it over night. Use this cream on alternate days i.e. three times per week. This

needs to be applied for atleast four to eight weeks.

You can follow up with the reports.

What is the cost of that treatment? Will it affect our child? How can I explain my husband?

#

You should visit a medical college nearby for immunotherapy and also get other tests done. Immunotherapy is not costly, and you might need three to five sessions.

Once treated and after ruling out other STDs with the tests I mentioned, it does not affect your child. Take your partner along with you to the STD clinic of any medical college nearby, and they will counsel both of you regarding it.

|