Q. What is the best way to treat genital warts?

Answered by
Dr. Payal Chauhan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 03, 2021

Hello doctor,

I have a problem with genital warts. This is affecting my family life. Please help.



Welcome to

I can understand your concern. But there are no attached photographs in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to assess the condition and suggest you the appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

Thank you doctor,

I have attached the photos.



Welcome back to

Thanks for sharing the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The best way to treat genital warts is intralesional immunotherapy these days, in which you will receive a vaccine in the lesions every three weeks. Most of the cases subside completely, and the chances of recurrences are very less.

For that, you need to visit a dermatologist in person only. There are many other options for genital warts but not as effective as immunotherapy and has side effects.

If one has genital warts, one needs to rule out other sexually transmitted infections as they are more likely with genital warts.

So get the following investigations if already not done.

1. HIV (human-immunodeficiency virus).

2. HBsAg (surface antigen of hepatitis B),

3. HCV (hepatitis C virus).

4. VDRL (venereal disease research labaratory).

5. HSV serology.

If you cannot visit a dermatologist in-person right now for any reason, start the following medications.

1. Capsule Zincovit twice a day after meals.

2. Imiquad 5% cream, apply a thin layer over warts at night and leave it over night. Use this cream on alternate days i.e. three times per week. This

needs to be applied for atleast four to eight weeks.

You can follow up with the reports.

Thank you doctor,

What is the cost of that treatment? Will it affect our child? How can I explain my husband?



Welcome back to

You should visit a medical college nearby for immunotherapy and also get other tests done. Immunotherapy is not costly, and you might need three to five sessions.

Once treated and after ruling out other STDs with the tests I mentioned, it does not affect your child. Take your partner along with you to the STD clinic of any medical college nearby, and they will counsel both of you regarding it.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I found two genital warts inside the vagina. Is it due to HPV?

.. gone through your history and pictures provided. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I appreciate that you have consulted the doctor and begun the treatment. As rightly prescribed, Condyline (Podophyllotoxin) paint is very effectiv...   Read full

I have genital warts on my penis shaft. Will the HPV vaccine prevent me from getting it?

.. understand your concern. Regarding HPV (human papillomavirus), once you get infected, you will always be positive. Symptoms can be on and off depending on the type of HPV you get infected with. If you keep your immune system good, the chances of t...   Read full

Which mast cell stabilizer would help my multiple allergies?

Actually allergy from almost everything ... Allergy to so many substances will make immunotherapy very difficult ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.