Q. My pupils are big after cataract surgery. Why?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

I had cataract surgery. I can see objects only with the rigid lens and it is blurry. I cannot read anything. My eyes still get hurt by bright light and my pupils are big. Why?

#

After the cataract surgery, pupil may remain dilated due to surgical trauma to constrictor pupillae muscle or iris is damaged and becomes atrophic.

Some drops also cause pupil dilation. Make sure you are not using any dilating drops with red caps such as Tropicamide, Cyclopentolate or Atropine.

There is also a condition called Urrets-Zavalia syndrome in which pupil remains dilated after any kind of eye surgery.

So, pupil is actually just like the shutter of the camera that controls the amount of light entering into the eye. When the pupil is dilated more light enters that cause photophobia or blurring. Blurring may also be due to intraocular edge effect.

Other causes of blurring could be astigmatism.

You have not explained when the surgery was done and which procedure was done? Please mention whether it is phacoemulsification or extra capsular cataract extraction with IOL or without IOL (intraocular lens) and whether the surgery was normal or complicated.

So, the first thing is refraction has to be checked to know whether your vision improves with glasses and contact lens or not.

Complete eye examination needed for other causes of blurring like postoperative inflammation or any other complication. So, I would advise you to get your eyes examined and get refraction.

To solve the dilated pupil problem some surgery may be done or you may use colored contact lens. Colored contact lens will do the same job as a pupil.

Revert back with more detailed history to an eye care ophthalmologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

I am getting double vision even after cataract surgery. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Over the last few years, I have watched and photographed several lunar eclipses (no solar ever). About a year ago, I noticed I was seeing ghost images when I looked at the moon with either eye or both 9 w/left, 7 w/right. Went to Ophthalmologist and they said I need cataract surgery. ...  Read Full »

I have irregularly shaped pupils. Is there a simple explanation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old female. I weigh 50 kg, and my height is 5'2". My only prescription medication is birth control. I have irregularly shaped pupils, and one is bigger than the other. I noticed this over a week ago, and they have remained the same. Should I be worried? Is there a simple...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»