Q. Would you recommend grommets for glue ear?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

I am a 38 year old male. I was diagnosed with bilateral glue ear. It has persisted for two weeks now and has seen an ENT specialist. I am on my third dose of antibiotics, Moxiclav duo forte 875/125. The condition does not seem to be improving. I am also using painkillers, nasal spray and antihistamine. I am keen to get grommets in my ears just to get some relief as the pressure or fluid buildup is unbearable on occasions. The ENT specialist seems to be against doing this? What would you recommend? Please explain.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• If the diagnosis of glue is supported by fluid type of curve (B type) in tympanogram with associated conductive hearing loss in audiometry, as well as not healing with nasal sprays and conservative management, then grommets can be used.
  • The tympanic membrane is incised and glue sucked out and pressure equalization tubes known as grommets are inserted across the eardrum.
  • After three to four months grommets are extruded on their own. While having grommets you must make sure that water does not go into the said ear.
  • Grommets are safe and excellent way of managing glue ear. One must be sure of the diagnosis and rule out any associated ear pathology before insertion of grommets.
  • You may share your reports and findings from ENT clinic to me so I can give you a decisive way of management for your problem. But, with the available details I can conclude that you can get grommet in the ear.

Revert back with the reports to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

My grandson has developed earache and discharge. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am traveling with my 16 year old grandson. He had an ear ache when he woke up this morning and we saw a doctor here. He prescribed Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice a day. Later, his ear felt better, but it started draining. Now, there is a small amount of bright red blood in the ear canal. ...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with CSOM and now, facing dizziness. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, Before five years, I had a left eardrum rupture and transparent watery pus discharge. It turned pale after some time. I tried an ayurvedic ear drop to treat pus discharge. Then, the pus discharge stopped, but there was some itching inside the ear. After 5 years, I was diagnosed to have CS...  Read Full »

Can a child travel by air after adenoidectomy?

Query: Hello doctor, My 17 months old daughter booked in for grommets and adenoidectomy due to fluid in middle ear and recurrent ear infections. We are flying two weeks after the procedure. We will be visiting a place with bad air pollution. Will she be more at risk of respiratory infection with no adenoi...  Read Full »