Otitis Media

Is ear infection common in children with adenoid hypertrophy?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter aged 5 years is having an ear infection wherein we could observe a small yellow pus formation inside her right ear almost at the end. It itches a lot although she does not experience any pain. This is present for close to three weeks now. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You described about the right ear discharge since three weeks is associated with tonsillitis. I want to know whether is there any attack of cold? Is there any injury to ear with earbud? Is there any symptoms of mouth breathing? Is there any previous diagnosis of adenoi...  Read Full »

There is pain in ear with green discharge. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is experiencing pain in his ear and has a green discharge. Is this an emergency case? The pain started 4 days ago. And he takes Biogesic and Mefenamic for the pain. But the pain did not stop. What can we do about his condition?  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common entity that we daily come across. There would have been an infection in the ear drum (acute otitis media) and green ear discharge is usually relatable to organism pseudomomas aeruginosa. You...  Read Full »

Why do I get pain and irritation in the ear with itching?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old female. Pain in my ear with irritation as if some infections happen in ear. I am on no medications.  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What do you mean by irritation? Is it an itch? Did you have any cold, running nose? Do you feel any ear blockade? How is your hearing?  Read Full »

What could cause hovering sensation in left oral cavity area with throat and ear pain of that side?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two years, I have had left ear pain, throat pain, and a hovering dull sensation in the rear left oral cavity area. I have been to two ENT's and a GP a dozen times. The lymph nodes on the left side of my neck are harder and a bit bigger, although hard it still moves. I wo...  Read Full »

Dr. Rohan S. Navelkar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can totally understand what you are going through. I saw the pictures you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems like you have a small salivary gland obstruction. There are multiple salivary glands all over your mouth that secrete saliva. ...  Read Full »

Is it normal for headaches to increase BP?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My height is 5'8" and weight is 75 kg. For two weeks, I have been having a lot of gas and burping without any other discomfort. Due to my tough work schedule in the last week I slept only 3 to 4 hours every day. Now from the last four days, I am feeling pressure a...  Read Full »

Dr. Talal Hussain

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have understood your problem and must say that it is quite a common complaint to my clinic. Here you must understand is that the hormones in our bodies have a lot of important functions including like sleep, mental well being, ability to fight infection, digestion, etc....  Read Full »

Will Amoxicillin taken for tooth infection help crusty stuff with ear discharge?

Query: Hello doctor, I have this hard crusty stuff around the perimeter of my ear canal. It itches and if I scratch it will come off but it sometimes causes clear fluid to drain out of my ear. It also dissolves if I get water in my ear. I am currently on Amoxicillin for a tooth infection.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Probably you have a subclinical otitis externa. In this condition there will be a very subtle infection in the ear canal which leads to an intense amount of itching. With the use of earbuds the raw area gets exposed and flares up the irritation even more. Impacted wax c...  Read Full »

Can you use grommets for glue ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male. I was diagnosed with bilateral glue ear. It has persisted for two weeks now and has seen an ENT specialist. I am on my third dose of antibiotics, Moxiclav duo forte 875/125. The condition does not seem to be improving. I am also using painkillers, nasal spray...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the diagnosis of glue is supported by fluid type of curve (B type) in tympanogram with associated conductive hearing loss in audiometry, as well as not healing with nasal sprays and conservative management, then grommets can be used. The tympanic membrane is incised an...  Read Full »

What does partially sclerosed mastoid air cells mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old male. I have perforated right ear for the past 20 years and get discharges on various occasions and treated every time. But I have no discharges for the last three years. As a routine checkup, I am asked for a CT scan and the findings are as follows: 1) Right -si...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have right-sided chronic otitis media which is a common type of chronic middle ear infection. It is common to have recurrent ear discharge in this condition because of the perforated eardrum. Since your ear is dry for three years you need not worry much. As far as...  Read Full »

Why is there no improvement in unilateral hearing loss even after medication?

Query: Hello doctor, For about three weeks now my right ear is not hearing properly, feels blocked some times and pains some times. My hearing has come down probably to only 30% that I can understand only when some one speaks on this ear. My other ear is fine. I consulted a GP who could not locate any inf...  Read Full »

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the symptoms you have mentioned the condition in your right ear is called SOM (serous otitis media). It is a collection of sterile glue like fluid behind the ear drum. Nothing to worry about, and yes it takes at least four weeks to resolve but is a trea...  Read Full »

Can mold cause ear infections?

Query: Hello doctor, Last year, I noticed that my 3 year old's tonsils were very large. I contacted his doctor. But, he could not find anything wrong. I later noticed him yelling or talking loudly and asking me to repeat a lot. So, I had a hearing test done and he failed. They explained that he had a flui...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your kid has a serous otitis media. The mild conductive hearing loss is due to this. In kids the most common cause is adenotonsillitis. My advice is to get a nasopharynx lateral view X-ray done for adenoids and send me the pictures. Give him an oral decongestant syrup ...  Read Full »