Otitis Media

Why is there no improvement in unilateral hearing loss even after medication?

Query: Hello doctor, For about three weeks now my right ear is not hearing properly, feels blocked some times and pains some times. My hearing has come down probably to only 30% that I can understand only when some one speaks on this ear. My other ear is fine. I consulted a GP who could not locate any inf...  Read Full »

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the symptoms you have mentioned the condition in your right ear is called SOM (serous otitis media). It is a collection of sterile glue like fluid behind the ear drum. Nothing to worry about, and yes it takes at least four weeks to resolve but is a trea...  Read Full »

Can mold cause ear infections?

Query: Hello doctor, Last year, I noticed that my 3 year old's tonsils were very large. I contacted his doctor. But, he could not find anything wrong. I later noticed him yelling or talking loudly and asking me to repeat a lot. So, I had a hearing test done and he failed. They explained that he had a flui...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your kid has a serous otitis media. The mild conductive hearing loss is due to this. In kids the most common cause is adenotonsillitis. My advice is to get a nasopharynx lateral view X-ray done for adenoids and send me the pictures. Give him an oral decongestant syrup ...  Read Full »

How to Unclog your ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I woke up five days ago with clogging in my ears. Stupidly, I went with one of the first solutions I found online and poured hydrogen peroxide in my ear. It is now stuck in my ear canal and I cannot get it out. I have tried Swim-ear drops, ear candle, wax removal kit and shaking my hea...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How sure are you it is wax that caused the blocked ears? If you are absolutely sure, you can put the wax dissolving drops and, it will act on the wax, temporarily swell it and then dissolve it. Or, it will make the wax soft enough for easy removal by a doctor using...  Read Full »

What can be done for adhesive otitis with SOM?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 33 years old, male. I am diagnosed with right adhesive otitis with left SOM. Already mastoidectomy was done in right ear nine years back and two myringotomies in right ear when I was 4 and 7 years of age. I have CT scan report, audiometry, impedance test results.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. Can you upload audiometry report? What are the complaints now? Is there discharge or hearing deficit? Any pain or giddiness? Nose CT seems fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Ear shows mastoiditis. Have they done an ear under microscope examination? If...  Read Full »

How can I get rid of swimmer's ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I have swimmers ear and I do not know how to get rid of it and now my ears hurt extremely bad.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com If you have diffuse otitis externa then you must rule out malignant otitis externa. If you are immunocompromised or a diabetic you need to worry about the same. It will be prudent to get a culture sensitivity swab of the discharge from the ear whenever you have the condi...  Read Full »

What could be causing resonance of ear and nose?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having resonance in the ear and nose since three months now. It all started with a bad sinus attack. I got my IgE test done and the result shows level 1000. Also, I had an MRI. It showed some polyps in the maxillary sinus. I had also got an NCV test, which showed slight palsy...  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Due to prolong and severe sinusitis, your eustachian tube got edematous. This in turn had developed negative pressure in the middle ear. This stage is named as eustachian catarrh. In your case, this had progressed to secretary otitis media and ...  Read Full »

How to handle a schizophrenic patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is suffering from auditory hallucination and 2 years ago she has been diagnosed to have schizophrenia (paranoid). Earlier, she regularly took medicine. But now she is not taking medicine because of side effects. She is unmarried and working in a private company. She does not fe...  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that your sister is suffering from schizophrenia and shown response on the prescribed medication, start her on tablet Risperidone 3 mg at night and tablet Parkin (Trihexyphenidyl hydrochloride - THP) 2 mg in the morning. You can also give her ta...  Read Full »

I have tinnitus in ear. Is there anything I can do

Query: Hello doctor, I had an otitis media with effusion a year back. Meaning, a bit more than a year ago. My ears never cleared properly. If I move my jaw or even slightly yawn, I hear dramatic crackling sounds from my ears. They do not feel very blocked, and my hearing is fine. However, I do still have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be due to eustachian tube block. Did you ever get tympanometry done? If yes can you send me reports, tympanometry is done to check middle ear pressure (which is not maintained in eustachian tube block). Eustachian tube block can be due to allergy or due to si...  Read Full »

I have fluid in my middle ear. Is there any way to clear it?

Query: Hello doctor, My GP says I have fluid in my middle ear especially in my right ear. I have tried antibiotics and using a nasal spray for two weeks. This has been going on for six weeks. Is there any way to clear it or like my GP says will it just take time? Can this also make you feel slightly off ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluid in the middle ear is called serous otitis media (glue ear or otitis media with effusion). What we do in such patients is give medical management (antibiotics, decongestants, mucolytics, nasal sprays) and if it fails we go for myringotomy and grommet insertion. ...  Read Full »

I have recurring otitis media. How can this be fully resolved?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old male. I have been having recurring otitis media every year since three years. I was treated with various courses of antibiotics. Amoxicillin is already resistant. So Cefpodoxime and recently Cefuroxime is being used for treatment. I would like to know if ther...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Taking antibiotics is not the solution to the problem. If you have a recurrent infection and eardrum perforation, you need to undergo a minor ear surgery which is performed by almost all ENT surgeons. What investigations have you got done till now? Also, d...  Read Full »