Q. What causes white scaly patches in the back of my throat?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I have a weird lesion that I just noticed in the back of my throat a few days ago. For the last couple of months, my throat has felt slightly strained after the normal conversation. I currently take Lisinopril, HCTZ, and Amlodipine for hypertension. My PCP prescribed a Z-pack and referred me to ENT since she does not know what the lesion is. So I am wondering if this is something that I should be concerned about in the meantime. Since I started taking Lisinopril, HCTZ, I have had strong cravings for acidic foods such as vinegar and hot sauce. I initially thought my diet was causing issues with my throat, so I significantly cut down on these types of foods. In addition to the lesion, I have noticed white scaly patches in the back of my throat.

#

The normal pharyngeal mucosa at times has a granular appearance. In addition, it may be present in acute granular pharyngitis. This is nothing sinister. Z-pack with adequate analgesia if you have pain, plenty of fluids and warm saline gargles or Chlorhexidine should help. There is nothing to be concerned about.

Thank you for the quick response. Is the pink lesion normal (right side of image)?

#

Yes, be assured this is nothing sinister. Chronic throat irritation can cause granular pharyngitis. Quit smoking if you smoke, avoid too spicy or deep fried food items. This is nothing serious.

|