Q. I am having sore throat. How can I cure it?

I have been having a sore throat for past one week. The pain is mild but constant, it feels as if there is something is stuck in the back of my throat or on my tongue, but nothing is there. There is redness around the area. I went to the doctor five days back and was prescribed a 10 days course of antibiotics (Amoxicillin). It did not make much of a difference. Is there anything else you would recommend me to do to clear this up. Those are the only symptoms. I am a 23-year-old male.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
MBBS., DLO., DNB., FELLOWSHIP IN DIABETES
Diabetology, Otolaryngology (E.N.T

You seem to have granular pharyngitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your throat looks chronically infected. Do you have post nasal drip as well that means does phlegm drains down from your nose to throat? It is suggestive of sinusitis which can recurrently cause throat infection for a long time.

You can start Clarithromycin 250 mg twice daily for five days but if possible get throat swab tested for culture and sensitivity and then start antibiotics based on the report. If it is difficult for you to get a throat swab done then you may directly start Clarithromycin as advised.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I do get post nasal drip going to the back of the throat. Is there anything else that I can go to speed up recovery time? This has not happened before. Diet or other remedies?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Diabetology, Otolaryngology (E.N.T

Post nasal drip means you have sinusitis. You might be getting headache and nose block as well. Anyways you start Clarithromycin and take some decongestants like Phenylephrine for five days, mucolytics like N-acetylcysteine (600 mg twice daily) for three days, and anti-inflammatory like Paracetamol for three days. Once your infection subsides, if you get such episodes often, then get CT scan of paranasal sinuses done.

Query: Hi doctor, I have had sore throats on and off for a couple of years now. One of my tonsils is bigger than the other. I have not been feeling well lately. I get constant sore throats, extreme fatigue, headaches, swollen right side of the neck, some minor difficulty swallowing, a low-grade fever, and...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic tonsillitis is a recurrent infection of the tonsils. Tonsils are lymphoid tissue present in the throat. They act as drainage points of various structures in the throat. When they get infected, they cause pain, soreness, headache, fever, and malaise. Tonsil...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old male. I have sinus issue and severe cough in winter season. I also have hair fall problem. Kindly advise.  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is important to get your sinuses and nose clinically examined for any conditions that might require treatment. Some people also develop allergy and this happens more often in the winter season. To make a diagnosis of possible allergy, a Complete Blood Count (C...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Receiving unprotected oral sex though much less of a risk as compared to unprotected vaginal or anal sex, is still not entirely safe. There is a possibility...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a sore throat on and off, for the past few weeks. It is not severe, but more of an annoyance with some referred ear pain. This week, I had a family member, who is a nurse, look at my throat to see if it was red or irritated. She noted I had quite a bit of post-nasal drip, but...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be having some mild inflammation of the sinuses and nasal cavities. The same instead of causing headache or nose block is causing post-nasal drip which occasionally flares up as a sore throat. Let me suggest some medicines that I would do in my practice...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old. I have been living with persistent allergies in my whole life. I have chronic post-nasal drip. I have lost my voice and get some sort of sore throat, whether that be laryngitis or strep throat. I had the same thing thrice in the past three months. This is especially dif...  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said, you have chronic post-nasal drip with a change of voice. According to me, it is chronic sinusitis with chronic laryngopharyngitis. The diagnosis of chronic sinusitis must be confirmed and I suggest you get a CT PNS (paranasal sinus) done and send me ...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.In such a patient what we would do is a laryngoscopy. Just to rule out any growth or inflammation. Chronic sinusitis due to contact post nasal drip tends to cause reflux-related symptoms and globus feeling. Secondly, we need to check your hemoglobin status to rule out Pl...  Read Full »

Can Ovral G be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?
Cold and Flu - Causes | Symptoms | Diagnosis | Treatments
I-Pill - When to Take and Its Side Effects

Also Read Answers From

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist »