Q. Why are baby's stools green in color?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

I have attached the laboratory reports of my wife. And the baby's stools are green in color. Please explain whether there is any chance for the baby to get jaundice.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Mother's thyroid levels are normal and the progesterone levels have no significance with the jaundice in newborn.
  • Pregnanediol levels are seen in breast milk.
  • Greenish stool is a normal thing in babies and it is not related to jaundice.
  • Greenish stool occurs due to less transit time of milk in the intestine due to which the bile is not removed properly.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|