Q. Is it possible to increase height at the age of 17 by taking HGH?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 21, 2021

I am a 17-year-old male with a height of five feet four inches. Can I start using HGH? Is it too late?

#

Please mention whether you have any other issues regarding your development other than height. Please mention whether you have any changes in voice and any issues in the testis and scrotum. Please mention whether their size remains normal. Please mention whether you have normal facial and pubic hair. Kindly mention your mother's and father's height. Your height should be an average of their height. If you have any other siblings, kindly mention their height.

Everything is well in my puberty cycle. My mum is having a height of four feet eleven inches and my dad is at his height of five feet eleven inches. I know my projected height. But I am willing to take HGH shots. Will it help me? I read that it helps to increase height regardless of DNA.

#

At this age, it is impossible to have an increase in height by taking medications including growth hormones. After 15 to 16 years of age, growth plates in the bones get closed and so an increase in height is not possible in males. Growth plates are the areas having new bone growth in children and teens. They are made of cartilage. It is a rubbery flexible material. As the kids grow, the growth plates get hard and they result in forming solid bones. A growth plate that gets completely harden into solid bone is referred to as a closed growth plate. After a growth plate closes, the bones cannot grow. Growth plates usually get closed near the end of puberty. For girls, this happens around 13 to 15 years of age. In boys, it occurs around 15 to 16 years of age. In some cases, limb lengthening surgery is done.

Does taking HGH show any effect after puberty?

#

Once the growth plates are closed, there is no way to increase your height. You can do a left hand and wrist X-ray to confirm it. If your growth plates are closed, nothing can be done.

Can I have an X-ray? If they are open, how long will they stay open? Is there any medication that helps to slow them from closing?

#

Yes, you can do an X-ray to confirm it. Usually, it gets closed by 15 to 16 years of age. If it remains open and if you take growth hormones, there is no guarantee to achieve an increase in height, but there is a chance. So, it is good to have limb lengthening surgery at this age.

If my growth plate remains open for six months, can I start taking HGH? Is this time enough to see any growth? What is the recovery time for leg lengthening surgery? When can I able to walk normally? Would I be able to exercise normally?

#

It is very less likely to have an increase in height after taking HGH (human growth hormone). An orthopedic surgeon helps to answer your other question.

|