Q. Gums below incisors and canines are turning dark with pain post wisdom tooth surgery. Why?

Dr. Bharat Joshi

I had wisdom tooth surgery two weeks ago. However, now the gums below my incisors and canines hurt and are turning darker. What do I do?

I am using Chlorhexidine mouthwash.

#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please do not worry. This is melanotic pigmentation caused due to the deposition of melanin. It is not a pathology and had nothing to do with extraction. However, esthetically if it irritates you, it has a surgical treatment called de-pigmentation done by scalpel, laser, or electrocautery (scalpel method is least expensive).

Melanin pigmentation.

Melanotic pigmentation.

Melanotic pigmentation.

Surgery.

Please stop mouthwash as it can cause staining.

No need but if estheticaly you feel uncomfortable, report me before surgery.

Is it normal if it pains, and I cannot chew hard food? I am having trouble sleeping too.

#

It is normal. Actually, if you can see the picture, you can see areas below black pigmentation that depict occlusal load. So pain is not due to pigmentation. It is due to the occlusal load. Do not worry. Also, one of your teeth has an exposed root. I am prescribing a desensitizing paste, apply over the anteriors for a month and then tell me if there any improvement.

Biting force and trauma.

X-ray.

Occlusal trauma and recession.

Occlusal trauma and recession.

Desensitizing paste for one month. Stop your mouthwash and do warn saline rinses six hourly a day for one week.

After a week, otherwise if symptoms worsen.

|