Q. Is gynecomastia normal in teenage boys?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Last reviewed at: Jan 17, 2018

I am a 19-year-old boy. I have gynecomastia and no facial hair at all. I also have several acne on my face and my back and chest. I think I have a hormonal imbalance. I have attached a copy of my hormone test reports. My FSH level is low at 0.74 µIU/mL but my LH level is normal at 4.96 µIU/mL. Please help. I have attached photos for your reference.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It appears that although your FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) is slightly low your testosterone and other gonadotrophic hormones are normal so it does not make a difference.

Usually, the FSH varies depending on the time it is tested.

If it bothers you then retest after one to two months.

Your gynecomastia could resolve in a year or two naturally as some males do tend to have gynaecomastia in their late teens which normally resolve on its own by 21 to 23 years.

Your facial hair shall come gradually as you are a late bloomer that is still having the effects of puberty.

Take it easy and let your body take its normal course.

Regarding acne you can take:

• Clindamycin 1% twice a day along with
  • Benzoyl benzoate 2.5% topical gel
  • Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment
  • Proactiv

You can have these once daily for as long as your face is cleared.

This will take usually three to six months.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

I have had gynecomastia for almost five years now. Should I be concerned? Is there anything that I can do?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

No, there is no need to be concerned because gynaecomastia is common in pubertal boys and it resolves by 21 to 23 years.

You do not have to worry unless if you are more than 23 years and it is still present in which case you can have it removed by plastic surgery.

I am a 26 year old male. My chest is developing into breast and it looks very weird on me.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am a 26 year old male. From the age of 13, my chest is developing into breast and it looks very weird on me. I feel like, I have gynecomastia. I feel very upset. Please help me with a cure for this.  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not worry. There are a lot of options for treating your problem. Check all these before you consult a doctor: You have to check whether there is a separate lump or general enlargement of the chest. And whether the enlargement is on both the sides. Check whether ...  Read Full

Drug-Induced Gynecomastia - Diagnosis and Treatment

Article Overview: This article explains about the medications that cause gynecomastia, that is, the enlargement of the male breast. The article discusses the mechanism of its development, monitoring, and treatment. Read Article

Gynecomastia is the enlargement of the male breast. Drug-induced gynecomastia is common (1 to 2.5 %), especially with antipsychotics. Typically Phenothiazines and Butyrophenones cause gynecomastia. Sometimes, Risperidone also causes it. Mechanism of Action of Antipsychotics: Antipsychotics ac...  Read Article

Would low testosterone affect erection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old. I never had sex and physically fit. I do not drink alcohol or smoke. My eating habit is healthy and I do not have much stress. I did my medical test three months back and found my testosterone level is below the minimum limit. I started eating vegetables and fruits, but...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. There is no need to get stressed due to low testosterone levels. As you are getting early morning tightness, this means that there is no organic issue. If you have to go for urine in the morning, even then, that tightness is significant. You...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now