Q. I had a gynecomastia surgery last week. Why is fluid getting accumulated in my right breast?

Dr. Vikram Kumar Raja
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2021

I had a gynecomastia surgery last week, and a week later my right breast was swollen. So, I went to see my doctor, and he said I have fluid accumulated in my chest. He opened my stitches and placed a scissor inside, and took out the fluid and blood, and closed the incision. It was very painful, and now again I can feel the fluid getting accumulated. But now, the doctor says that the fluid will subside by itself, and there is no need to worry. What should I do?

#

• What you had the first time was hematoma or blood collection which was drained.
  • Now, what you have is a seroma, which usually gets absorbed by the body in a couple of weeks.
  • I would suggest you wait or if you want to confirm if it is a seroma or hematoma, you can get an ultrasound scan.
  • An ultrasound will show the collection and also the quantity.
  • If it is a small hematoma collection, it will get absorbed. If it is more, then it would require a drainage. Seroma usually reduces by itself.

For more information consult a plastic surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/plastic-surgeon

|