Haemoglobin

I am severely anemic. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a severely anemic patient. I have been on iron and B12 shots for three decades, but still, there is no improvement. I have got enlarged spleen, IBS, and also no absorption from the gut. I had undergone so many tests but nobody seems to have answers. I stay exhausted, dizzy and pa...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are on iron and vitamin B12 shots, I would assume that it could be nutritional. It is obvious that no absorption from the gut and also IBS will complicate it. Enlarged spleen could be due to increased destruction in spleen or production of cells in the spleen to ...  Read Full »

Is my body pain due to low Hb count?

Query: Hello doctor, Today I checked my Hb count and it is only 11.8. For the past two months, I have been getting blood spots after the 10th day of my periods along with discharge. Is there any problem? I can also feel some body pain. Is it because of the low Hb count? My height is 5'9" and I weigh 76kg...  Read Full »

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hemoglobin (Hb) of 11.8 g/dL can be considered as not too low. Just occasional spotting after periods should not reduce your Hb (if it was higher than 12 g/dL previously). Regarding your symptoms of body pain, it depends on what was your Hb level previously. If it has r...  Read Full »

My health is deteriorating due to masturbation. What do I do?

Query: Hello, I am a 30 year old male. I do not have any other health issues. My problem is regarding my deteriorating health condition after each masturbation. Usually I have been masturbating since very longtime. But since last few months, I have reduced the frequency to once in a week. After each mastur...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. What you call a deteriorating medical condition is not due to masturbation. Masturbation is absolutely normal for any human being and science has clearly demonstrated that it does not have any bad effects on the body. You can take it as a normal sexual activity wher...  Read Full »

Is my low hemoglobin related to periods or blood donation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female. I have donated blood twice (in December and March respectively) and my hemoglobin level was 12.1 g/dL. Yesterday, I had gone to donate blood. But, I was not able to do so because of my low hemoglobin level (9.5 g/dL). I am just wondering if the drop in my hemog...  Read Full »

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hemoglobin (Hb) level does not drop down during your periods unless you have abnormally excessive bleeding. It could be a result of frequent blood donation. Maybe your body did not get enough time to regenerate the lost blood. So, give some time for your body to rege...  Read Full »

Which foods help improve hemoglobin levels in the body?

Query: Hello doctor, I am anemic. How to increase hemoglobin levels in my body? Which fruits should I take?  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your hemoglobin is below 10g/dL, then iron supplements have to be taken once daily. Syrup Ferritin is a good choice. A healthy diet will definitely help in elevating your hemoglobin level very soon. Have three meals a day with adequate fruits and soups in between...  Read Full »

My mother's hemoglobin is 5. Her feet and face are swollen. What do I do?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother's hemoglobin is 5 g/dL. Her feet and face are swollen, what do I do?  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com. Hemoglobin of 5 g% is very low and an indication for blood transfusion. As you are saying her face is swollen, she might be landing into a heart failure. There are multiple causes of severe anemia. She requires admission and evaluation. Consult a general medi...  Read Full »