Q. I am a male with thick, wavy, and frizzy hair. How to make it smooth and frizz-free?

Dr. John Bocachica

I am a male with wavy, thick coarse Asian hair that frizzes, and I wanted to ask you how I could get my hair thick, long, silky, smooth, and frizz-free. I could send pictures of what hair I want. Please help.

Dr. John Bocachica

Dermatology
#

Given your natural type of hair described and what you would like it to look, there are some things you can consider.

Wash your hair with shampoos that are intended to reduce frizz and will say so on the bottle. Also, use a conditioner that is intended to reduce frizz. There are hair styling products for thick wavy hair that also reduce frizz and will say so on the product description. A more permanent solution would involve using either a blow dryer with a stunning attachment that will temporarily straighten your hair and give it a silkier appearance. Be sure you use a product intended to minimize heat damage to the hair that you apply to the hair before you blow-dry.

If these measures are not satisfactory to you then you may wish to consider applying a chemical relaxer to your hair that will make it straighter and smoother but you will have to redo the roots about every two to three months to maintain the look. If you decide to chemically straighten your hair, you should only wash it once a week to maintain a smooth frizz-free appearance. Chemically straightened hair requires a little more care and a little more attention to keeping it well-conditioned for maximum results.

| 

Hair Care at Home

Article Overview: This article discusses general hair care measures. Read Article

In most of the countries, women have long hair as a tradition. But, it has a few disadvantages. Hair becomes soiled due to the collection of dirt as a result of shedding of the upper layer of skin or from dust from the atmosphere, salts from evaporated sweat and bacteria. This dirt or dust is held o...  Read Article

Can hair fall be caused by stress?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend is 20 years old. She recently started losing her hair. Now, within two and a half months you can see her scalp near the front of her head and the very back of her head. It happened suddenly. And now she is pulling her hair out in clumps throughout the day. I have also notice...  Read Full »

Routine Hair Care and Common Hair Problems

Article Overview: This article will tell you about proper hair care. And answer questions like, how much hair is lost daily? Will dandruff lead to hair loss? How to oil your hair? How should conditioner be used? What causes split ends? Will shortening the hair reduce hair loss? Read Article

Dr. Uzzaif U Mansuri

Just as crops require proper nutrition in the form of water, sunlight, pesticides, etc. regularly, so does the hair. It needs vitamins, conditioner, and nourishment. We can provide nutrition to the hair in the form of dietary supplements like food rich in vitamins like green leafy vegetables, s...  Read Article