Q. I have excessive hair loss and breakage from the roots. What should I do?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 12, 2021

I am a 20-year-old female with a weight of 48 kilograms. I am having excessive hair loss and breakage occurs from the roots. What to do?

#

From your history, you are suffering from hair loss. Having a hair fall less than 100 strands per day is considered normal and anything above it requires treatment. Hair fall can occur due to multiple reasons. It occurs due to dry scalp with a history of dandruff and dry skin, history of hair straightening, use of hot irons on hair, a positive family history of hair fall and bald patches of hair loss, recent infection, fever, stress, accident, certain medications, anemia and endocrine diseases like thyroid and PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease). Check your vitamin D levels, HB (hemoglobin) levels, blood iron levels, and calcium levels. Start taking iron and vitamin D capsules if the vitamin D is less than 12 ng/ml. Take 6000 IU per week for 4 weeks to 6 weeks. Recheck your platelet count. Do abdominal scans to rule out PCOD if you have symptoms of irregular periods or thick facial hair growth. Check your thyroid profile. Have a follow-up with the results of these tests.

|