Q. Why am I having diffuse hair fall after taking Finasteride?

Dr. Rabia

I have been on Finasteride for three months now. Recently, I have been having a huge shed of around 100 hairs a day, up from 5 to 10 before the treatment. The hairs I shed are thick but half the length of the rest of my hair. They are also thin at the base of the hair. This hair loss is in a diffuse pattern on my whole head rather than just at the temples like before. Is this sort of hair loss normal for this point in the medicine?

Dr. Rabia

Dermatology
#

When Minoxidil is started, it can lead to hair loss at first because it regulates hair cycle and all hairs go into one phase leading to diffuse shedding of the hair. But eventually it stops. Ensure proper diet with Vitamins and Minerals. Take Biotin supplements along with it because Biotin is very important in hair growth.

| 

I have hair fall of 10 to 20 strands a day. Is there anything to worry?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 14 years old. My problem is that when I brush my hair, I found my hair on it. My hair fall is 10 to 20 hairs a day. Is there anything to worry?  Read Full »

Are hair fall, skin infections, and overweight due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have hypothyroidism. With that, I am facing hair fall, skin infections, overweight, high cholesterol, and memory loss. Are all these happening because of thyroid or there are other factors involved? I am a firm believer in Ayurveda but can this be treated with Ayurveda permanently? ...  Read Full »

Is it fine to plan for baby while taking Finasteride?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been consuming Finasteride 1 mg for more than a year for androgenic alopecia. I have mild hair fall concentrated at the vertex. My hair started thinning before four years, mostly at the vertex. My age is 36. I am in excellent health and married. Now, I am planning for a baby. Curre...  Read Full »