Q. I am suffering from hair loss. My hairline is receding. Can I take Finasteride?

Dr. Meha Malhotra
Published on Jun 24, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2019

I am a 25 year old male. I am suffering from hair loss for the past three to four years. I can see my hairline slowly receding from the forehead. I have been suggested Hair4U 10 % lotion and Biotin tablets. Do these drugs have any side effects on the body? Can I take Finasteride for hair loss?

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

The treatment started by your doctor is fine. The only thing is that the treatment for hair loss has to be followed for a long time and you need to be regular with your follow up visits.

Regarding side effects, both these medications (Hair4U and Biotin tablets) are pretty safe. So, you need not worry.

Hair4U is a topical solution used to treat male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia). It contains 10 % Minoxidil or Aminexil (Kopexil).

Biotin (Multivitamin) tablets promote hair growth as well.

Finasteride is used to treat androgenetic alopecia in adult men only. It slows down hair loss and promotes hair regrowth. Finasteride might cause the risk of developing prostate cancer.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

How to repair damaged, frizzy and rough hair?

Query: Hi doctor, I have taken smoothening fourth time with a gap of a one-year interval between each session. But, this time I have taken keratin treatment also. My hairs from the ends are damaged, frizzy and rough. Is it possible to repair them?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Keratin treatment is for damaged, rough and frizzy hair. You should always take keratin treatment for hairs. Take biotin supplements for proper growth and good texture of hair. Get regular trimming of hair at the ends as weathering leads to dry and frizzy ends. Avo...  Read Full

Can bleaching be really harmful to my hair?

Query: Hello doctor, I bleached my roots twice in the summer, and there was a ton of overlap, resulting in a lot of breakages. I thought the breakage subsided so I had extensions put in. I just recently had them taken out and realized that my hair has become super thin and I have lost a lot of them and my...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bleaching repeatedly would cause damage to the Disulfide bonds present in the hair, which is most often temporary. You definitely need hair nutrients like biotin, cysteine, selenium, calcium pantothenate, zinc, vitamin C to restore normal growth pattern of hair. Pl...  Read Full

Why is my head shedding excess hair these days?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been shedding excess hair in the past few weeks. It was just a few in the beginning but now when I comb my hand through my head, 10 to 15 strands of hair come out in my hand. I do not know what is causing this. I have tried to find the reason online but there are lots of theori...  Read Full >>

Dr. Stuti Khare Shukla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly attach an image to know the severity of your problem. It is usually normal to lose 80 to 100 hairs per day. But yes, if you never had a hair fall and are suddenly witnessing it, it might be due to some underlying etiology. As you mentioned about your recent...  Read Full