Q. I am 21 years old, and I am facing hair loss from the past three years. Please help me.

Dr. Subhash Kashyap
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

I am 21 years old. I am facing hair loss for 3 years. I went to one dermatologist. He prescribed Menabol tablets, Zydip lotion, Vits hair Minoxidil solution, and seboclear shampoo and asked me to go on diet eggs and cheese. I started to get good. But again, after some time, it was the same. I am losing hair from each part of my head. Now I have less density of hair. I lose a minimum of four strands of hair. This is a nightmare. Now my hair is not dense enough. What the hell is wrong with me. Please help me.

#

This is androgenetic alopecia. It occurs due to the sensitivity of the hair follicle to androgens and is constitutional. You cannot do much about it. It is progressive with age and varies from person to person.

Most of the time, it is familial and more inheritance is from the maternal side. The permanent treatment is hair transplantation, while the medical treatment which has been given to you is the standard treatment. With medical treatments, hair growth remains till the time you continue the treatment the moment you stop the treatment, natural progress of hair loss resumes, so continue following treatment nothing much is required if you continue this treatment for long. Hairs will grow to a maximum in eight months and will remain as such until you continue the treatment. After withdrawing the treatment, the progress of hair loss will resume. It is a cosmetic problem. Some people are more concerned while others are not, so if you are too concerned, continue the medical treatment for hair transplantation. I prescribe:

1. Minoxidil (Loniten) 10% twice daily.
  2. Tablet Calcium Pantothenate (Antoxipan) + Vertin (Betahistine) once daily for eight weeks after eight weeks of hair growth progress.

|