Common "Androgenetic Alopecia" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Androgenetic Alopecia

Androgenetic alopecia, otherwise called male-pattern baldness, is a type of hair loss that can affect both men and women. This condition results in receding hairline and hair thinning, which progresses to total or partial baldness. It can be genetic or due to some underlying health condition.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am suffering from male pattern hair loss. Can Finasteride help?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from male pattern hair loss for a long time. I had tried saw palmetto for a short duration and got a decent result (as suggested by a trichologist) but did not continue due to lack of information on long term effects. Please suggest if Finasteride can help in hair susten...  Read Full »

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Can you please upload a few pictures if possible to advise the appropriate treatment. Are you married? If yes, did you complete your family?  Read Full »

Why did my hair lose thickness after giving birth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old woman. I have two kids. After my second delivery, my hair became so thin. I lost my hair density. Before my delivery, my normal hair will be so thick. Thyroid, sugar level, hemoglobin are normal. I am taking Vitamin supplements also. There is no improvement. Why have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Perhaps you have androgenetic alopecia. Androgenetic alopecia mainly affects the front, mid and vertex part of the scalp. In this type of alopecia, there is hair loss and thinning which manifests as reduced hair density and volume. Minoxidil and oral Finasteride are appro...  Read Full »

I am a 24-year-old experiencing extreme hair fall. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 24 years old and having extreme hair fall. My center of the scalp has already started showing up. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Use Trichospire hair kit and Qilib men lotion twice daily. I hope it helps. If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to contact us.   Read Full »

I have hair fall of 10 to 20 strands a day. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 14 years old. My problem is that when I brush my hair, I found my hair on it. My hair fall is 10 to 20 hairs a day. Is there anything to worry?  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Hair is one the fastest growing cells in the body. Hair has different growth cycles like anagen (growing phase), telogen (resting phase), and catagen. Losing 50 to 100 hairs per day is considered normal. Old hairs are replaced by new hairs. If you are losing hairs on th...  Read Full »

Is it fine to plan for baby when taking Finasteride?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been consuming Finasteride 1 mg for more than a year for androgenic alopecia. I have mild hair fall concentrated at the vertex. My hair started thinning before four years, mostly at the vertex. My age is 36. I am in excellent health and married. Now, I am planning for a baby. Curre...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have read your query in detail and do understand your concern.Studies have shown that there is no risk to the mother or fetus if the partner is on Finasteride 1 mg daily while conceiving and thereafter. However, females should avoid handling these tablets during pregnan...  Read Full »

Kindly provide suggestions for managing my pattern hair loss.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a young adult experiencing pattern hair loss and it is affecting my confidence. Can you provide insights into lifestyle changes, medications, or treatments that might help manage or reverse the progression of pattern hair loss in younger individuals? Additionally, are there any co...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understood your concern. Firstly, I would like to inform you that patterned hair loss in males, also known as male pattern hair loss or androgenetic alopecia, requires an understanding of its causes and risk factors to help prevent it. The main...  Read Full »

My hair loss continues despite medications. Please suggest.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old male with extreme hair loss. I was on Rogaine 5 %, Finax 1 mg, but losing lots of hair from the vertex.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to With your history looks like you have androgenetic alopecia, which is a genetic and hormonal hair loss. Are you still using Rogaine and Finax? Minoxidil and Finasteride are the medicine of choice for androgenetic alopecia. Can you please upload your clinical pictures so...  Read Full »

I have been experiencing hair thinning. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 38 year old female. I seek your professional guidance and expertise regarding pattern hair loss, specifically Androgenetic Alopecia. I have been experiencing hair thinning and noticeable changes in my hairline for a year. Please provide a comprehensive understanding of Androgenetic ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Androgenetic Alopecia is a pattern of loss of hair, which usually occurs due to reasons including genetic susceptibility (especially if maternal family members have a history of the same) and hormonal fluctuations. Other triggering factors include: Any lifestyle changes, ...  Read Full »

What to do for the progressing bald spot in a female?

Query: Hi doctor, I have noticed a progressing bald spot on the top of my head. I am a 33-year-old female. Please tell me why this is happening and how I can fix it.  Read Full »

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have viewed the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This could either be frontal fibrosing alopecia or androgenetic alopecia or alopecia areata. How long since you have noticed it? Was it gradual in onset or did it appear suddenly as a smooth, b...  Read Full »

I am facing partial hair loss on the front hair ends. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am facing partial hair loss from the front edges of my hairs. I think I have a disease called alopecia areata. But I do not wanna be so quick saying that I certainly have such disease. First, it was not that bad. So, I ignored it hoping it would get better with time. But to my surprise,...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to It would have been easier for me to diagnose the condition if you would have attached your clinical picture along with your query. Because there are other causes of hair loss like androgenetic alopecia, frontal fibrosing alopecia. Hence, the diagnosis should be confirme...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.