Q. I suddenly developed hair loss problems late last year. Is it due to stress?

Dr. Deepti Shukla
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 29, 2020

I have hair loss problems at age 17 this first started late last year. I didn’t really notice it at first till I shaved my head. I used to use minoxidil for about 4 weeks then stopped and just oils till now. I had gone through a breakup 2 months prior so I don’t know if it’s linked to that cause I was really stressed out during that time. It’s been about 9 months and still have the same spots of my head where hair isn’t really growing back to normal.

#

Hello, Don't worry I will help you with your concern.

Your history suggests you have telogen effluvium. It is a condition in which sudden excessive hair fall occurs due to any stress or any illness or any medicine.

As you went through stress that might have caused telogen effluvium. But since you are facing hair fall since 9 months, you may have androgenetic alopecia with superimposed telogen effluvium.

Minoxidil is a good medicine to promote hair growth but you need to continue minoxidil for long time. If you have active hair fall then we have to start you on hair multivitamines and one lotion to control active shedding and then restart minoxidil when active shedding reduces.

Please share a photo from frontal scalp and top of scalp so I can assess and suggest you treatment accordingly. Thanks and regards

|