Please provide causes and treatments for male pattern hair loss.

Q. What are the causes and treatment options for noticeable hair loss?

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

I am a 36-year-old male with no underlying health conditions or medication use. I have been experiencing noticeable hair loss for the past 5 to 6 months, and it is causing me significant concern, particularly the fear of developing baldness. Despite trying different hair care products, I have not seen any improvement. Kindly provide the potential causes of pattern hair loss and the best available options to address and potentially reverse this condition. Please help.

#

I have carefully reviewed your query and understand your concerns. This pattern hair loss condition can have multiple causes, including:

1. Hormonal fluctuations
  2. Genetic history, often inherited maternally
  3. Stress and irregular sleep patterns
  4. Dandruff and helmet use
  5. Use of hair styling products
  6. Medical conditions like thyroid disorders
  7. Certain medications such as antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs

The manifestations of pattern hair loss can vary, often presenting as a receding hairline and, if left untreated and exacerbated by stress, can lead to hair reduction and thinning. I suggest the following treatments for hair growth:

1. Tab. Follihair: Take one tablet daily after dinner for three months. This is a multivitamin that promotes hair growth.
  2. Cap. Uprise D3 (Cholecalciferol): Consume once a week after dinner for six weeks. Additionally, exposure to early morning sunlight for 15 minutes daily (between 7 am and 8 am) can be beneficial.
  3. Anaboom anti-hair fall serum : Apply the serum daily at night to the affected areas.
  4. B Protin Chocolate Powder: Mix one tablespoon in water or skimmed milk and consume it after breakfast daily for three months.
  5. Anaboom Anti-Hair Fall Shampoo: Use this shampoo once a week to cleanse the scalp.

Consult your specialist doctor, talk to them, and then take the medications as per their advice. I would also suggest you check your vitamin D3, vitamin B12, DHEA-S (Dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate), and thyroid profile to rule out any deficiencies. Try an oil massage on the scalp using a mixture of 3 parts coconut oil, 2 parts castor oil, and one part of vitamin E capsule. Apply, massage, and leave it on for an hour before shampooing. Consider PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) scalp treatment. It involves injections from a dermatologist's clinic, using growth factors extracted from your own blood. This treatment is administered once a month for six months. Laser treatment for hair growth can also be considered, typically on a monthly basis.

These measures are effective for preventing further hair loss and stimulating hair growth.

I hope this information is helpful.

|