Q. Can Hashimoto's thyroiditis increase lymphocytes after hysterectomy?

Dr. Elina Angelova Beleva
Published on Jul 04, 2018

I have had a total thyroidectomy (TT) two years ago and on my pathology report of the thyroid, I have had mild thyroiditis, and I always have high lymphocytes. For one period of about a year, they were raising every month. My Tg and Abt within normal range. I did anti-TPO and my result is 2.01 and ref range is less than 5.6. My question for you is on my case can Hashimoto thyroiditis decrease neutrophilia and increase lymphocytes even after hysterectomy? Or shall I consider blood cancer and make the test to rule out. I do not have any symptoms.

#

I have reviewed your results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From what I have seen leukocytes are within normal range as well as hemoglobin, platelets were not reported. From the automatic differential, there is indeed a slight lymphocytosis, but the manual differential (the one reviewed by the doctor under a microscope) report 70 % neutrophils and 30 % lymphocytes. A mere laboratory result does not hold much strength especially like in your case when the total leukocyte count is normal and you report no other complaints such as malaise, night sweats and/or fever. However, if you have a concomitant enlarged lymph node and/or spleen to proceed with more specific tests such as flow cytometry to rule out chronic lymphocytic leukemia. But, anyway, the manual differential would have shown the presence of atypical, abnormal cells. Since it does report no atypia, this means that it is much less likely that there is a blood disorder (provided that no lymph nodes and spleen are enlarged and you have no complaints). I would suggest a regular, monthly blood count and differential tests and an abdominal sonography to check for the spleen. The changes in the blood counts can be just reactive to some condition. This could be autoimmune disorder such as thyroiditis or viral infection.

Viral infection

Abdominal ultrasound

Autoimmune disorder

For more information consult a hematologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Thanks a lot for a very professional answer. So, please help me to the following concern. Three years back, I have had the same lab results for four months and then all come to normal until the test which I sent it to you. I had many thyroid problem and many symptoms like kidney problem, many infarctions, bone pain, etc., for six months and when I removed I discover in the pathology report on thyroidectomy a year back. I found that I have the thyroiditis and till now, all blood work was fine. So, finally, can I attribute all this issue of the blood to thyroid. Is it possible? Or shall I more consider blood disorder and go for further investigation.

#

I would rather say that your problems might be due to the thyroiditis and a reflection of a general autoimmune reactiveness of your body. I would suggest that you have every six months check of TSH, anti-thyroglobulin and anti-TPO antibodies as well as a complete blood count. One autoimmune disorder usually goes with another. Meaning, if you might have Hashimoto thyroiditis, there is a high chance that you might develop pernicious anemia, which is an autoimmune related gastritis, causing anemia. Therefore a gastroscopy is more relevant in your case as well as abdominal ultrasound.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Am I suffering from any thyroid disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male. My height is 5'9" and weight is 92 kg. I got tested for thyroid yesterday and got an antithyroid panel test today. My reports are attached. Am I suffering from hypothyroidism or any thyroid disorder? Do I need to start medication?  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it shows hypothyroidism. Are you a known hypothyroid? Has the treatment for your thyroid issue already been initiated? Do you have any other symptoms like constipation, mood changes, intolerance t...  Read Full

What could cause recurrent fever and body pain in a 13 year old?

Query: Hi doctor,My son is 13 years old and his weight is 46 kg. His WBC is 6000, lymphocyte is around 50% (checked thrice in the last two years), Hb is 11 g% and HbE trait. His overall health is fine, but he is getting recurrent fever attack of around four to five times in a year with severe body pain. P...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: HbE trait with 11 g% hemoglobin is good and well maintained. His white blood cell count is normal and lymphocytes are mildly increased. There is nothing to suggest any particular cause. Recurrent infection could be due to low...  Read Full

Kindly advise whether my report is all right after bariatric surgery.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old male. I had gastric sleeve surgery around 1.5 years ago. I have lost around 55 kg till now and now, my weight is 68 kg. I have not followed the dietary recommendations and vitamin and calcium supplements prescribed by the doctor for quite a long time. Now, I am in poor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. My first step is to congratulate you for a definite action towards your health as the bariatric surgery. Also, you have achieved a great weight reduction with it which needs appreciation too. I understand that you have not been following the diet and just accept the fa...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now