Q. Is it possible to lose one's intelligence from a head injury?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

I had a bike accident. Is it possible to lose one's intelligence or IQ from a head injury?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I am sorry to hear this.

• The short answer to your question is that yes. Memory, recall, attention span can all be negatively affected after a head injury.
  • This is dependent on multiple factors like age, associated illness, CT and MRI findings, surgery, post injury rehabilitation, etc. Thus, it is difficult to answer this question without all this information.

Revert back with the detailed history to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Are the effects described by you temporary or permanent? Is it possible to come back to your original life after some time? On what factors would full recovery depend?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

#

• The effects can be either temporary or permanent. This depends on severity of the head injury, since it directly affects the brain.
  • This can be determined by the signs (neurological examination), symptoms (concussion, loss of consciousness, seizures and amnesia) at the time of injury and CT or MRI findings at the time of injury. Thus, recovery depends mainly on these factors.
  • If you are concerned by these problems, have a neurosurgical consultation and a neuropsychology evaluation to determine your baseline status and then repeat after six months or so.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|