Q. Why am I experiencing memory loss after a head injury?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Feb 21, 2018

Over a year and a half ago, I had a head injury which I did not think was too major back then but it has caused many problems for me over the period of time and it is only getting worse. I have been experiencing a major amount of memory loss such as not remembering what we are learning in class or what I had written down just a day before. This is really starting to take a toll now as I am getting a larger workload and more tests. This is not just with school work but also just in general. Family and friends often like to tell stories about the past that I had no remembrance of at all. I need to know what is going on and if I can fix or improve it in any way.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I read your question carefully and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to a concentration disorder, which is probably associated with a lot of daily stress and lack of adequate physical activity or a poor diet.

As you are not concentrated, you do not remember things. The head injury could trigger this clinical situation too (post-concussion syndrome). Coming to this point, I would recommend consulting with a neurologist and performing some cognitive tests and a brain MRI, just to be sure that everything is okay.

Meanwhile, I recommend taking a vitamin supplement with Gingko Biloba, vitamin E, Acetyl L-carnitine and Ginseng for memory enhancement and performing a lot of physical activity (yoga, aerobics, recreational sports). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent.

A balanced diet is necessary too, rich in omega 3 fatty acids (walnuts, fish, fish oil, olive oil, etc.) and avoid smoking or caffeine drinks.

I would also recommend checking vitamin D, vitamin E plasma levels, and thyroid hormone levels.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I have had multiple concussions. Is it due to growth hormone deficiency?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male and I have been living with a lower quality of life for the past eight to nine years, starting around six to seven months after I had a pretty severe concussion. I had been diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome and saw several neurologists who ran numerous tests ...  Read Full »

Can a minor head injury due to fall from a height result in brain tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, My now 18-year-old son fell from a height 14 years ago. He got a minor injury. I consulted a neurologist for a CT scan just for my satisfaction. But, the doctor said no he is absolutely fine. I am still worried whether in future he will suffer from a brain tumor be...  Read Full »

Do you think my head injury is a critical one?

Query: Hi doctor, My head got injured after some part of a concrete ceiling collapse. CT Scan done and I have attached the reports. I was hospitalized three days. An ENT opinion was taken and also, an audiometry was done. It showed a minor injury in the right ear and less audibility. Now, I have some pa...  Read Full »