Q. Why am I experiencing memory loss after a head injury?

Dr. Aida Quka

Over a year and a half ago, I had a head injury which I did not think was too major back then but it has caused many problems for me over the period of time and it is only getting worse. I have been experiencing a major amount of memory loss such as not remembering what we are learning in class or what I had written down just a day before. This is really starting to take a toll now as I am getting a larger workload and more tests. This is not just with school work but also just in general. Family and friends often like to tell stories about the past that I had no remembrance of at all. I need to know what is going on and if I can fix or improve it in any way.

#

I read your question carefully and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to a concentration disorder, which is probably associated with a lot of daily stress and lack of adequate physical activity or a poor diet.

As you are not concentrated, you do not remember things. The head injury could trigger this clinical situation too (post-concussion syndrome). Coming to this point, I would recommend consulting with a neurologist and performing some cognitive tests and a brain MRI, just to be sure that everything is okay.

Meanwhile, I recommend taking a vitamin supplement with Gingko Biloba, vitamin E, Acetyl L-carnitine and Ginseng for memory enhancement and performing a lot of physical activity (yoga, aerobics, recreational sports). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent.

A balanced diet is necessary too, rich in omega 3 fatty acids (walnuts, fish, fish oil, olive oil, etc.) and avoid smoking or caffeine drinks.

I would also recommend checking vitamin D, vitamin E plasma levels, and thyroid hormone levels.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|