Q. How to reduce excess oxytocin in brain?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Two months back, I got married. Then, I involved with excessive kissing with my wife. For the past one month, I am facing some kind of headache and heaviness in the head. I checked with the local physician and they said that there are excess of love hormones in the brain. That is excess of oxytocin and my physician informed me to consult a psychiatrist. He also informed me that there the excess oxytocin needs to be reduced to come out of the problem. Earlier, I did not accept that there are excess love hormones in my brain. However, I observed and surprisingly I have seen that after kissing my wife, my symptoms got increased. I request you to suggest a medicine to overcome this problem.

#

I can understand your concern, but I differ in opinion regarding the oxytocin and headache.

• Even in some studies oxytocin (through nasal route) use has been found very effective in controlling headache. So, in my opinion the relation between headache and kissing in your case is by chance factor.
  • The levels of oxytocin are controlled by hypothalamic pituitary axis and these should not be altered with medicines. This can affect endocrine functions.
  • Hypotension could be the reason of the headache you have. Drink plenty of water before sex and you will feel better.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Also, I have a doubt whether the headache is due to increased orgasm. Because, presently, my mind is not balanced. There is some imbalance. My physician is not able to find out whether it is due to serotonin deficiency or excessive hormone level in the brain. He has prescribed antidepressants, but I am not responding to them. Kindly give some solution for the same.

#

• Yes, if you are experiencing headache during sex or after orgasm, then this is most probably postcoital headache. This occurs due to a number of factors and hypotension is one of them.
  • If this is the reason, then Atenolol or Propranolol in low doses can be used. These drugs will reduce the headache. Even SOS (as and when required) use can help.
  • Also, analgesics like Paracetamol or Ibuprofen can be used for the control of headache. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Antidepressants will reduce the thoughts you have due to the symptoms. The slightest imbalance like symptoms you have will respond to the antidepressants. There is no need to worry.

|