Q. What should a 14-year-old patient do to prevent headaches?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

My head hurts, and I feel dizzy. Once when I was in the church, I fainted, but before that, I felt cold. After a couple of days, I felt nauseous and had stomach pain and diarrhea that night. I vomited after that and looked pale. Now I always experience throbbing pain in my head. My headache started five months ago. I am 14 years old. My height is 5 feet 2 inches, and my weight is 52 kgs.

#

I can understand your concern. You have been experiencing head and dizziness for five months. I am going to ask you a few questions. Please answer them

1. Do you experience headaches daily?
  2. Does any aggravating or relieving factor make headache intense?
  3. You mentioned you had vomited once. Do you feel nauseous due to a headache?
  4. Do you have any troubles with vision?
  5. Do you experience symptoms of ear fullness, ear discharge, or tinnitus?
  6. Have you got your blood pressure and hemoglobin levels checked before?
  7. Would you like to mention the past history?
  8. Have you visited any doctor for the above symptoms as they have been present for five months?
  9. Has your doctor guided you?

I need medical history to evaluate your query. If needed, I might recommend some imaging tests to find the cause of the headache. So I asked the above questions to find out the cause. Here I would suggest you answer the above questions and try tablet Paracetamol 500 mg once a day or Ibuprofen as they help relieve pain. It would be better if you visited a nearby doctor for guidance. After knowing the details of the present query through the above questions, I will be able to guide you further. Take care.

Thanks.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I do not experience headaches daily, but I feel dizzy when I have a headache. I do not feel nauseated when my head hurts. It just happened once. I am not sure about the problems with vision, but I can see things. Whenever I feel dizzy, everything around me is spinning or moving. I do not have any symptoms of ear fullness, ear discharge, or tinnitus. When I fainted in church, the doctor checked my blood pressure, which was normal. I have not undergone any blood tests to check my hemoglobin levels. I would like to mention that I have a headache because I do not sleep on time and am busy answering my modules.

I end up staying awake at night and sleeping the next morning. I am always on my phone. I force my body to stay up late because I need to answer my modules, which worsens my headache. Also, I sleep late because I have a hard time sleeping and cannot sleep. Now I sleep early and try not to spend my day on the phone. I have not visited any doctor. I want to clarify that my headache started five months ago, but I feel it rarely. I felt it again a month before. I fainted that day because my body did not get rest. Now I often feel a headache. Last night my head was hurting, so I took a Paracetamol and then went to sleep. I did not experience a headache when I woke up the next morning. I also apply an ointment on my head to reduce the pain. I think I have a headache because I do not take any medications. Now I can say that my headache is mild.

#

After reading your reply, I can conclude that your headache is due to disturbed and inadequate sleep. There is nothing to worry about it. Make a schedule and sleep regularly. It is important to sleep a minimum of seven hours daily. Make your room soothing while you sleep, and keep away the electronic gadgets for at least half an hour before sleeping. Do not take Paracetamol frequently. Rather, do lifestyle modifications, including early morning exercise, reducing the afternoon nap, avoiding tea or coffee before bedtime, etc. The cause of fainting is also clear from the medical history that it was a lack of sleep. Vomiting is unrelated to the headache, and the headache is not regular, so do not worry about it. Hope I was able to guide you. Take care.

Thanks.

|