Q. Hearing damaged after hearing high sound. Would doing the same thing cause further damage?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 03, 2019

I have a question about hearing. Firstly, I am aware that hearing loss takes place when the tiny hair cells within the inner ear are damaged. My question is, once a particular hair has been damaged, will the same sound level that previously damaged it, hurt it again? For example, if you listened to a sound at 90 dB for nine hours and your hearing was damaged, would doing the same thing another day further damage your hearing? Or would it not change anything, as your ears would not be registering the same level of sound as the previous time?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

There is something called a temporary threshold shift and permanent hearing loss. Temporary loss is the loss which if a sudden burst of sound and you get hearing loss as hair cells are fatigued however hearing regains soon in some time. If it is a permanent loss that too at a severe level for all frequencies chances are the person will not notice the same loudness of the sound afterward however there are some pathologies where the sound amplifies itself, and it is called recruitment.

So in that condition, the person may not even respond to a loud sound of 80 dB however they might complain abnormal loudness at 90 and feel the same discomfort as a person with normal hearing has. It all depends on the pathology and condition of the hearing loss.

A pulp is seen in the ear after accidental eardrum damage. What is to be done?

Query: Hi doctor,Five days back, my son put a plastic stick into his ears and the membrane got damaged and blood came out. We went to the doctor immediately. He gave us Azithromycin to give the child and told us to keep his ear safe from air, water and, all other materials. He also told us to watch out for...  Read Full >>

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.Since there was damage to the membrane you need to be careful. It can cause a decrease in the hearing if the damage does not heal properly or get infected. If pus is coming from the ear, kindly consult a nearby ENT doctor and take treatment for the infection. It can tak...  Read Full

What are the causes and treatment of hypochondroplasia?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend's son has been diagnosed with hypochondroplasia. He is 11 months old. His height is 50 cm and weight is approximately 5 kg. Kindly suggest the best treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sirisha
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hypochondroplasia is a rare and genetically inherited condition. It involves the skeletal system, and the child's height and weight are definitely low. And birth history (attachment removed to protect patient identity) also suggests some abnormality. What about the pare...  Read Full

I Am Suffering From Left Side Upper Back Pain As Well As Left Sided Chest Pain.Please Help.

Query: Hi, I am suffering from left side upper back pain as well as left sided chest pain for the past one year. Day by day it has been increasing. I underwent ECG, Echo and TMT eight months back. All the tests were normal. My lipid profile is as follows:Tryglicerides - 276, LDL - 85, HDL - 28 and tot...  Read Full >>

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your upper back pain and left sided chest pain might be due to a condition called cervical radiculopathy. It is a condition where the nerves at your neck level get compressed between the neck bones and causes pain in the back of neck or upper back or arm or shoulder or ...  Read Full

Ask an Audiologist Now