Q. My mother has left ventricular dysfunction. Is surgery the only option?

Dr. Ilir Sharka
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 23, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

My mother is 53 years old. I have to discuss with you about my mother's heart problem. Two years ago, we get to know that she is suffering from heart disease so we consulted a reputed cardiologist. He examined her and said that the only treatment for her problem is bypass surgery and gave her some common medicines like Aspirin, Roseday, etc. She takes the medicines for some time and left them. But three months ago, she got common cold and consulted a local physician, but she did not feel any relief. She rapidly changes four doctors and take their prescribed medicines for sometime and then left them. It resulted in damage to her kidneys. She got swelling on her whole body, my father took her immediately to the cardiologist whom she visited two years ago. He again examined her and perform all tests and tell us that she is suffering from left ventricular dysfunction and his left ventricle is only 20 percent left. After hearing this she is in a great depression and always she is thinking about it and saying to everybody that her heart is working only 20 percent. I want you to tell me some solution to this. She is weak and is also afraid of surgery. Is there any treatment that can be done with medicines alone?

#

As far as I understand your mother is suffering from heart failure. Unfortunately, there is not too much to be done. A definite solution would be a heart transplant. Anyway, an optimization of her therapy can help improve her situation. So, I would recommend adding an ACEI (angiotensin-converting-inhibitor) Lisinopril, and Ramipril or ARB (angiotensin II receptor blocker), a diuretic to help improve the leg swelling Lasix and Hydrochlorothiazide. Aldosterone antagonists Spironolactone, and a beta blocker in case of tachycardia. If these drugs do not help improve her situation, Entresto (Sacubitril / Valsatran) can be added to her therapy. Regarding depression, I would recommend consulting with a psychiatrist. An antidepressant like Sertraline could be helpful.

|