Heart Failure

Is there any medicine available to cure left ventricular dysfunction?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 53 years old. I have to discuss with you about my mother's heart problem. Two years ago, we get to know that she is suffering from heart disease so we consulted a reputed cardiologist. He examined her and said that the only treatment for her problem is bypass surgery and...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As far as I understand your mother is suffering from heart failure. Unfortunately, there is not too much to be done. A definite solution would be a heart transplant. Anyway, an optimization of her therapy can help improve her situation. So, I would recommend adding a...  Read Full »

Why are my hands and feet cold and sweaty always?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old male, who weighs 200 lbs and 6 feet tall. I have been looking for my symptoms after watching a TV show. I know some things are not right with me, and I have been curious to find the cause. It could be one or more problems. Here is what is going on. I have cold hand ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cold and sweaty hands and feet can happen in heart failure, anxiety, hyperthyroidism and shock. Numb feet, which are painful while walking can be due to neuropathy, nerve root compression at lumbosacral spine, or arterial occlusion in legs. The half closed eyelids ...  Read Full »

My cardiologist informed me that I have diastolic heart failure. Please explain.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old male with 5'11" height and weight 214 pounds. Multiple sclerosis and bipolar disorder are co-morbid conditions. I was recently admitted for a heart catheterization to check for any potential blockage after an abnormal ECG, chest and chin pain, months of breathlessne...  Read Full »

Dr. Carlos L. Alviar

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear that you did not receive any detailed explanation of your condition. Diastolic dysfunction is the inability of the heart to relax, which can be diagnosed with echocardiogram or with evidence of high pressures inside your heart chambers, as evidence...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for peripartum cardiomyopathy?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister was diagnosed with peripartum cardiomyopathy during her pregnancy. Her age is 31 and weight is 55. She delivered a baby girl through normal delivery. 2D echo report says 20%-25% heart function (LVF). But she is not having any external symptoms like swelling, breathing problem, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Before I answer your questions in detail, I would like to tell you that if she is totally symptom-free and her ejection fraction (EF) is 20-25%, please do get another echo done from an independent reliable source to confirm the diagnosis. The condition peripartum cardi...  Read Full »

Is my ankle swelling a sign of heart failure?

Query: Hello doctor, Since yesterday, I have been so tired, and I have a swelling in my ankles. It looks like a mild swelling, but I am scared. I have attached pictures of the swelling. Is this starting edema because of heart failure? I had some cardiac enlargement on MRI, but I had normal ejection fract...  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen and reviewed the images which you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like you have mild edema around your ankle. In the absence of any respiratory symptoms such as difficulty in breathing, or other cardiac symptoms su...  Read Full »

Kindly review my echo results taken for heart failure.

Query: Hello doctor, I need help reading the results of my echo a few months back. I am just not receiving the results. I had a baby a few months back and then was back in the hospital a week later with pnemounia. During my visit back in the hosiptal with pnemounia, the doctors said my blood work kept com...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your hearts' left ventricle is a bit weak (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It has a mild dysfunction. This occurs sometimes during the last month of pregnancy or five months after delivery. Many times this condition reverts to normal or almost normal wi...  Read Full »

What is the reason for breathing issue in a cardiac patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 77 years old and suffering some cardiac issues from the last 8 to 10 years. But recently he has faced some tremendous issue and admitted in the nursing home for thrice. He was suffering from a breathing issue. I am sharing all the latest report which I have received from ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The likely cause for his shortness of breath is heart failure only. However, the infection, high BP may precipitate this heart failure and leads to accumulation of fluid within lungs an...  Read Full »

Does high E/A ratio suggest diastolic dysfunction?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to show my echocardiogram, to know if I have diastolic dysfunction or not. I can see that the velocity is high, but the report says normal. I am not an expert, but I have read that, if E/A ratio is higher than 1.5, then it is a problem. Please help, I am worried.  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In order to diagnose a person to have diastolic dysfunction, there are factors that have to be met. Like ejection fraction more than 45%, the presence of diastolic stiffness, and heart failure symptoms, with changes in some laboratory test indexes. E/A ratio great...  Read Full »

How to diagnose alcoholic cardiomyopathy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a heavy drinker. I have been getting heart pain and fast heart rate. How to get diagnosed with alcoholic cardiomyopathy when the echo test result is normal, and 24-hour ECG test shows tachycardia?  Read Full »

Dr. Pramod Bhanudas Narkhede

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Alcohol effects on left ventricular function can be reversible. A number of small studies have demonstrated that if it is started before fibrosis, abstinence from alcohol can result in significant improvement in left ventricular function. A short duration of symptoms...  Read Full »

Will diastolic dysfunction lead to heart failure?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old male. My height is 184 cm and weight is 98 kg. I have been having balancing problems for over a year. It is some form of sensory ataxia. I also have compression in C4-C5 and C5-C6 cervical spine. I also have severe sleep apnea. I had some breathlessness and chest discom...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and keen observation. Yes, diastolic dysfunction can cause heart failure. But, we need to find out the reason here. Sleep apnea is one additive factor and need to treat it. Also, you need to...  Read Full »