Q. My mother does not complain of chest pain, but her ECG is abnormal. How?

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2021

My mother is 65 years old and diabetic for the last 15 to 20 years. During her last blood and urine test, there were some issues with lipid profile test apart from sugar fasting and PP. When doctor performed ECG, there was some problem with that also. Now the doctor had recommended CAG. My point of concern is as follows. Does the report clearly reflect the issue in the heart? She does not complain of pain in chest? Should we get either an echo or TMT before CAG? Which angiography is appropriate by keeping the age factor and diabetes in mind? That is, either CT angiography or normal angiography. Is there anything to get panic in this situation?

#

• Your mother's test results show abnormalities. That is why the doctor has recommended CAG (coronary angiography).
  • The ECG shows ST segment flattening at V, which indicates ischemia (reduced blood supply) and can lead to a heart attack. It can occur in patients without chest pain.
  • The choice for the type of angiography should be made by the attending physician. He or she will be in the correct position to decide the best for her based on his experience.
  • There is nothing much to panic. It is mostly due to the long-term effects of diabetes.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|